What are the pro's and con's of breast pumping and can someone give me some tips?

i want to breastpump for my baby and i was just wondering if anyone could help me..no one in my family has ever brestfead and they cant give me any advice!

rkm0731

Asked by rkm0731 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse for the first few weeks if you can to get that baby some colostrum, its very hard to pump...it will aslo help get your supply in. ONLY pumping can be very hard and time consuming, twice the work of actually breastfeeding from the breast but its much better than using formula for the baby for sure.

exclusive pumping or EP, takes dedication...pumping every 2-3 hours in the beginning evn if your baby is sleeping or not eatting at that point. The pump doesn't work as well as a baby so you have to pump more often than feed.

As far as BFing...just nurse nurse nurse as often as baby wants and your baby will be fine...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yeah, I pump ALOT! And I did when the baby was first born, we had the hardest time trying to get her to latch on to my inverted nipples, but I kept telling myself to keep trying, that others had done this before me and didnt have pumps.
    To pump I try to massage a little while thinking of my baby, it helps if she is awake and I can smile and talk to her. I put the pump on breast and pump very fast at first. This is actually what babies do until your milk drops. I keep doing it, sometimes I squeeze my breast a little and then my milk drops. Then I pump as much as possible. I always try to pump ATLEAST what she has eaten, usually more. I get as much as I can out of each breast by squeezing them when they start to really slow down. If you dont get everything that she had from her last feeding from that breast, go to the other one. If you dont pump out atleast what she is eating your supply wont meet the demand.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Exclusive pumping can be very difficult and hard to keep up with. I'd recommend that you start pumping as soon as you get your little one home from the hospital but do not give your LO bottles until he or she is 6-9 weeks old.

This way, you get a head start on storing your breast milk in the freezer, and you jump-start your supply. This will make it easier to keep up with your baby when your supply stabilizes. Otherwise, pumping through supply stabilizations is *difficult*.

Is there a reason why you want to pump, in particular? Maybe if we know a bit more we can offer suggestions based on your situation? :)

Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Pros of breast pumps: They allow your baby to have your milk when you are separated from your baby or if your baby has a medical condition and is unable to nurse.

Cons of breast pumps: Even the best breast pump is not as efficient or as fast as a baby, they tend to make it very difficult to keep up with baby's needs and can lead to a drying up of mom's supply that would not have occurred had she exclusively breastfed. Pumping introduces bottles which have a whole range of problems ranging from the increased risk of contamination, oral development issues, over-eating, gassiness, exposure to chemicals, etc. The pump can often lead to use of formula even when mom is only pumping at work and is determined to make it work (because of the pump's effect on supply)

If possible, they should be avoided or used carefully.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Any reason you just cant nurse the baby at your breast without the pump? Especially in the beginning, it would be better for you to just nurse as your baby will be better at helping your milk supply come in and get strong....then after a few weeks you could pump but if you never nurse and only pump, you may not make as much milk and you may not be able to breastfeed as long. and, I personally HATE to pump, makes my nipples sore and takes too much time and effort, id just much rather nurse my baby and be done with it!
    Good luck to you either way!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• well i only want to breastfeed up to 6 months to a year. i am not going until 2 years old and i was told that its easier to ween with the bottle. also i am not comfortable with taking out my brest in public to feed even with a cover. i know its weird and thats what our "ta-ta's" are here for but i'd rather have them out in the privacy of my own home
    rkm0731

Answer by rkm0731 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I also have a pump and hated to use it . I never could get good milk with it took much longer to get a oz or two then it did to feed my baby start to finish. My kids all had no problem going from breast to bottle you should give a bottle asap tho I've had friends that wait six months and have a really hard time my children all had there first bottle in the first week or so . They tell you not to but for me one bottle never made a difference they got use to the bottle and it did not change my milk supply . I never enjoyed feed outside my home ether so i used the powered milk after my milk was in good one bottle every couple of days is also a good way to get them used to formula. A can is good for a month you make one it as you need it . Hope this helps worked for my three children

Anonymous

• my daughter was tongue tied and couldn't nurse, so I only pumped. By 10 months I had enough in the freezer to stop, and she had breastmilk for the first year. Every time you feed a bottle, pump for 20 min (even if nothing comes out, set a timer, ...over time your supply will increase). When your baby gets to where they are only taking a bottle every 4 hours...you can stretch your pumping out to 5 or 6.....just put some in bottles and some in bags to freeze. By the time my daughter was about 6 or 7 months old, I was only pumping 3 times a day, but getting enough for all she needed. By the end I just pumped morning and night. If you have never pumped, know that you don't need to use the strongest suction etc. Just set it midway, set a timer for 20 min, and try to relax (will get easier with time). I played soft music, or watched a movie or read. Feel free to message me privately if you have any more questions...it can be done
    energygirl

Answer by energygirl at 4:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009