How did you start going to church and which one?

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 11:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wasn't saved until I was 27 years old, and I was saved in a fundamental, independent Baptist church, so I remain a Baptist and attend the First Baptist Church - Douglasville. We're not typically "big church" people, and so I was really surprised at how welcoming the church was and how small t felt once we got connected and plugged in to a Sunday School class and worked in the different ministries. I so love my church. It is the only thing I will regret leaving when my husband at long last takes me home to the Lone Star State!
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was at a knitting group and a female minister was sitting next to me. She saw my large gothic cross and asked if I believed. I told her that I believe in God but I don't know much past that. She invited me to her church - Unitarian Universalist. She told me that it was a nice place to start when you don't know. I showed up and sat quietly and just listened. I did that a few more weeks and then began to interact with people. It was nice.
    MawagaMom

Answer by MawagaMom at 11:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Can you please try a Southern Baptist. They preach the Bible!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Lol, really?? just because you are a southern baptist doesnt mean everyone should be.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I was raised Southern Baptist and will likely never go back to one.

I spent most of my adult life bordering on agnostic. Then I was listening to some music one day and felt God call me to go to church. I remembered a church (non-denominational) someone had mentioned a few months prior, looked it up, then showed up one Sunday. I definitely felt led there by God and it has been a wonderful experience so far.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• 2mothershelpers, YOU asked about peoples church. You need to prepare yourself for all kinds of post. I was a southern baptist. I found it very limiting and constrained. Since becoming a pagan I do attend a Universal Unitarian and help lead ceremonies for Pagans and Wiccans. Yes we all learn about each other. Christians, Pagans, Agnostics Oh my... Those are just a few of the paths that walk in peace together. Bash if you want but it works for us

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I grew up southern baptist. then i met my husband. I then converted to the church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints. Every thing I have been taught makes sense. All my questions were answered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I grew up Lutheran, then went to a Protestant chapel on military bases that we were stationed at, and now am going to a Baptist church
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 3:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It took me 35 years but I finally started going to a Unity Church this year and I finally found my perfect fit. I can be ME and I love everyone there. It doesn't matter what path we're on. We're all GOD's wonderful creations. That's what speaks to me and that's what makes my spirit sing.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was raised Southern Baptist. DH was raised Independent Baptist. We went for years,then fell out for a long time. When things got really bad,and I finally hit rock bottom, I KNEW we needed to be back in church. We found an amazing Non-Denominational that we loved! We,and the kids were all saved and baptized at that church. However, they just don't have a youth group there,and we could see our son slipping away. He had been going with a few friends to activities at a large Assembly of God church,so we tried it,and loved it,and that's where we are now,and I don't see us changing anytime ever. We love it there, the people,our son is active in the youth group.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009