Is it okay to let my son sleep on him tummy??

My son is 6 weeks old and is having the hardest time sleeping. I can only get him to sleep when he is layin on his tummy on my lap or chest. When i put him on his back he wakes right up and starts to cry, even scream. i have tried putting him in his swing and bouncer and he will sleep maybe 20- 30 min tops. The only way he sleeps good is on his tummy but im scared cause of sids. Im not sure what to do.

kalebsmommy309

Asked by kalebsmommy309 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had that same exact problem. now my dd is 19 months and thats the onyl way shell sleep. drs say to put them on their backs but my dd couldnt sleep that way. so i found her tummy was better, maybe co sleep for awhile and then when hes a little older ask the dr about it.. idk but a few years ago they said not to put them on their backs for that reason...it would cause sids. not its only the back...i dont think they can decide,.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Babies on their bellies are more likely to die from SIDS. Yes- many years ago- like 20 years- they said to lay them on their stomach because they thought babies were dying of SIDS from choking on saliva or vomit. We know that is not true now. I know it is hard- but until they can roll over themselves and put themselves on their bellies or back to their backs- they need to be on their backs. Maybe the issue is more that he likes to be held as opposed to the sleeping on his belly. It will take time- but at 6 - 8 weeks- it's okay to let him cry it out for a few minutes. I just know that for me- if I let my baby sleep on her belly and god forbid somthing did happen- I would never ever forgive myself.
    Anonymous

• babies for years and years have slept on their stomach .... some dies of sids....some babies sleep on there back and dies from choking on their spit up.... but my daughter slept on her stomach i just made sure i had the baby moniter with me when she is sleeping you can hear her breath and you can hear if she were to struggle.... you can also try to lay them on their side if your still not sure what to do....
    cindythemom

Answer by cindythemom at 11:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well I think anon is just trying to scare you. I put my son on his tummy from the time he was born to now (three years next month). He is fine and healthy. As long as you have a TIGHT sheet, no blankets, pillows, animals, and things like that, your baby will be fine!!! if you are THAT worried, co sleep, or sleep on the nursery floor. whatever you have to do to reassure your self.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Mine was the same way. In the end, I bought the AngelCare monitor and let her sleep on her tummy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My mom put me on my belly from birth. it all depends on how comfortable you are with it.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i'd be lying if i said my son didnt sleep on his belly... he was about 3 months old when that started tho... it was soooo hard to get him asleep on his back..

if you choose to do it.. make sure there are no blankets, toys... anything that can get in the way of his breathing...and check on him a lot...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my son slept on his belly and still does and he is 8 months as soon as he got home if i put him on his back he would find a way to roll! he was rolling before he was 1 month old. he was always on his tummy... just check on him during the night and make sure that he is still breathing!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 2:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i got thoes great crib positioners that help prop the baby into a position and i let them sleep half on their sides half on backs seemed logical to me they were not face in the sheet and they were not going to choke on puke workedgreat for me and did you know that statics have proven that a baby using a binky or pacifer for the first like 6 months to a year realy reduces the risk of sids
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009