Why would you want that?

Does anyone believe a person can force themselves to believe something that just doesn't ring true in their hearts? If God were real, would he even WANT them to? And if not, why all the scare tactics and the "believe or else" mentality from so many of his believers?

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 11:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think we are all made to follow what we believe. And that was one of the big things with me and the churches I went to. I couldn't see how the God they told me was responsible for me getting here would create me with such a questioning mind when I found the "truth." And, not once, did I think it was the "devil" in my ear causing me to question the "truth."
    In short, I thin kwe all have our own truth. We all have things we believe and things we don't I don't think God really would "condem" someone for believe what is in their heart.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I feel the same way. Whenever people tell me that I'm going to hell for not believing, all I can say is IF there IS a "god" and they are all you say, then he would not punish me for a mind and heart that he gave me.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• God is sparing us by telling us we need Him! Hell was created for Saten not people. That stupid Eve our greeaaaaat grandmother goofed up in the garden of Eden and sinned passing on sin to the rest of us.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I can't even get into this question atm; it's too complex.

But I will say that the "believe or else" mentality we see today stems from the Church, and not necessarily the "God."
    Anonymous

• I have been miserable trying to "believe" something that I just don't hold true in my heart. I've been lying to myself for years. I'm not going to go through the motions and feel nothing.

I figure God knows my heart. He knows my struggles. I try to ignore the rest...
    Anonymous

• Anon 11:27- that's my point. I think that IF I'm wrong and he does exist, he wouldn't want his followers bullying people for believing differently. That part in a Christian's heart and mind that tell them that their faith is real and makes them whole is just as active in me, but it tells me something different. I would never try to convince a believer that God is not real. I would never try to dent and break that part of them just so I could be right. Why can't everyone see it that way?
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have tried myself to believe and I just can't. Sorry but common sense tells me that there isn't a man up in the sky that will take my soul after I die to live all eternity with him. That I must live my life for him and the way he wants me to. That watches over every single person on this Earth and hears and answers their prayers Sorry but it doesn't make any sense to me. He sounds more like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. How can someone who is a great person, lives their lives with confidence, never really doing any wrong, going out of their way to help others in need, etc., etc., but doesn't believe in him will go to hell but those horrible people who live their lives to torture and hurt and kill others will make it into heaven as long as they ask forgiveness? No matter how many times I look at it and from all the angles.....I still can't justify it being possible.
    heatherbug82

Answer by heatherbug82 at 2:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When I was a Christian I was very open and honest about my views (as I am now) but never thought it was my job to convert others - and certainly not through fear or any kind of coercion. I totally reject the entire concept of "better safe than sorry" - as if you should accept Christ and play along just in case YHWH is the only God and that's the only way to get to Heaven. "What have you got to lose?" The chance to have an AUTHENTIC relationship with the Divine, by choosing to view it/him/her through a narrow lens. If Christianity provides for you a true connection to the Divine, then that is wonderful and yes, you should share that joy and peace and perspective with others. But if it doesn't provide communion - true, real, deep experiential knowing of the Sacred - then sticking with it from some sort of mental fear of "being wrong" is shortchanging yourself in this life. Without joy, it is meaningless, and not your path.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• God is not about that at all.. He is about love . Cant you see Love read the people its about love. I believe in God because he has done so much for me and my family. saved me killed me and set me free  thank you Jesus... God loves us so much he sent his only begotton son Jesus to die on the cross for us so that we can be saved and not go to hell .. All God ask is that we live for him how hard is that?

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree, Hinson, it's all about His love. I've been given personal healing, peace, and comfort through Him. I share Him because I want others to have the same things. He has promised that if He is lifted up, HE will draw others to Himself( John 12:32) . We're only to sow the seed and leave it for the Holy Spirit to water. He has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of a sound mind.( 2 Timothy 1:7)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009