I'm 43 and my son's father is 47 we are older parents of a 4 year old child and he has no clue since the child was born how to be a father,me since I raised an Autistic niece who's 24 now I'm tired when it comes to dealing with my son but I love him to death.I'm more dedicated to being there for my son than his father because it be like taking care of three kids instead of two, his father doesn't understand this or care so what should I do?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 11:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• My DH and I are 37 with a 7 year old and 20 month old. He takes zero responsibility for either child. Our oldest is autistic, and the care for a toddler and a 24/7 son is exhausting. He has 7 days a month off (consecutively) and my house looks like a war zone when he goes back to work. I've complained, let things stay messy and undone but nothing has worked. He says he understands and is going to help, but I'm still waiting! He will help if I ask for every little thing (run bath, give bath, help with homework, cook supper). But he does things in his own time and usually not fast enough for me! So my feelings are if I have to ask for every little thing, I might as well do it myself. Perhaps if you tell your DH how you feel he will step up on his own. Good luck.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• buy him a book try to find ways to get him interested in your son. Buy your son and his father matching baseball mits or something to give them something to do together. Or if you just need a break try to find someone who you can trade babysitting shifts with. maybe tell them youll watch theirs if they watch yours. So you can have a break for yourself to just relax.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2009