Toddler Biting?

My son is in the biting stage...he bites me, my husband, blankets couches, ect....I dont know what to do! we have tried time outs...he comes out of his room. we have tried everything i dont know what to do...he will do it for a few days then stop, and start...but not all day just like once or twice...but i have bruises and bite marks all over...I am worried because I am due with our second on Sept. 5th....Help! Please...any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...Thanks...

jlcazzola

Asked by jlcazzola at 11:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd did this, and I had to prove to my DD that it was hurting me. First I would say "ouch, no, that hurt mommy" in a firm voice, then when she did it again, I would tell her in a more firmer voice, that it hurt, and set her away from me, so she would know that it really wasn't good. If she did it again, I would repeat what I said, and put her in time out. After a week, she stopped.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• This is hard, but it is a phase. Our 2 y/o since he was little has bitten us when he is teething or is tired. He has a blanket, (doesn't use a paci) that I tell him he can bite. He will stuff it in his little mouth and chew that thing so much! LOL! I know he is getting his back teeth in, and he cuts them 4 at a time, so I am sure it is painful. There are teething tablets, or tylenol chewables, that can help take the edge off. We have tried many teething rings, etc, and none holds his interest very long. The best one was one that has a massager in it. He doesn't use cold things like some kids do, but redirecting him to ONE thing that works may help. I agree with xxhazeldovexx about putting him away from you when he bites, and keep telling him it hurts. It isn't a fast fix, but we haven't been bitten in a couple of months now. Yay! No more bruises! Good luck with your new baby!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Simple bite him back. Not to hard of course just hard enough for him to realize it hurts. I did it to my son and he doesn't bite at all.
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 8:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with the first two posts (I've never believed in modeling the behavior we are trying to stop), but I would also recommend you give him something that he CAN bite - I believe in redirecting their behavior to something appropriate, not just providing them with a No to each behavior...For me, I found it beneficial to my son a yes for every no. Sometimes, they are just needing a little oral fixation, sometimes it's expressing frustration, sometimes it's an experiment (if I bite this, what will happen). If you know why he's biting at a particular moment, give him an appropriate response to help him achieve his goal in an appropriate manner. If he's angry, give him something he can bite to get his frustration out - a teether ring, whatever. If he's curious, find different things for him to bite that are not harmful. And remember that consistency is key.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009