2 bath time for a 15 month old, questions.

1) I've asked before...about when your toddler gets water in their lungs. My son has been feeling the need to try and drown him self lately. I sit in the bathroom with him at all times, but he moves about the bath then abruptly plunges into the water face fist on purpose! Then gets some water in his lungs?....will he be okay? I heard getting even an ounce of water in your lungs could kill you at any notice....I'm a little worried.
2) He WONT let me rise his hair out! Any tricks? I've tried using the washcloth to wipe it out, I've tried the cute little water thingy to poor it on his head...nothing!

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. it is possible however not likely for him to drown after the fact.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_drowning it is called dry drowning here is the info on it.

2. give him a washcloth to hold over his eyes while you rinse his hair. it may not keep the water out but gives him some control. try to get him to lay down and rinse his hair himself. let him "rinse" after you to make sure you get all the soap out. have a towel ready for him to wipe his eyes after you rinse, even if no water gets on his eyes it may make him feel better (works for my daughter)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:10 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• 1) of course your son will be ok. You think he's the first one to suck down some dirty bath water? bathtime should be fun. It IS ok for him to "swim" if you are there. don't panic because babies pick up on your senses and feed off them...

2) the more dramatic you make his bath, the more dramatic he'll be. If he will not let you rinse his hair, just wash with water and when he's done and dressed, use some spray -in conditioner and then brush it.

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My 16 month old daughter just started this fun trick! I just try to ignore it. I dont feel she is getting water in her lungs, just in her throat. Which then when she coughs, and she always does, it come up. Not to mention I dont think it really as much as it looks like! She loves it and thinks its the best time EVER! Just ride it out and try not to make a big deal out of it!
    ShannonZ1976

Answer by ShannonZ1976 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Hand held shower for rinsing the hair. My oldest has a problem having his hair and face washed. However, if I lather and rinse at the same time he's okay with it.

So, while the shower water is falling on him, lather up the head quickly (you can lather much faster than the water is falling) and it's rinsing as you go.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm sure he'll be fine in regard to the face in the water thing. Just keep an eye on him. As for rinsing his hair, my sons always had that same problem. I finally found that if I ran the water just deep enough, I could lay them back with my hand under the back of their heads, and then use my other hand to cup the water and bring it up to rinse their hair. It's a little more time consuming than other methods, but they hated the water and shampoo getting on their faces, and this way kept the water completely away from their faces and they would stay calm.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I find it ironic that he'll put his face into the water on his own but won't let water get on his face to rinse shampoo! You ahve to love kid logic... In any case, I'm with the other posters, don't worry a bout the water in his lungs. My son puts his face into the water and sometimes pops up choking after getting water in. As long as he's doing it himself, he probably isn't going to get hurt.

As for shampooing, I'd go with a handheld shower (you can get them cheaply that attach to a tub faucet). Them let him do it himself. The novelty might be enough. personally, I just dump the water over my 2 yr old's head as quickly as I can until it's rinsed. He's learned to deal with it. I think all the other gizmos just emphasize that there's something wrong with getting water in the face.
    Anonymous

• show him how to lay on his back in the water while you rub his head to get the soap out this is the only way my kids let me do their hair
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't be overly worried about him plunging into the water. When my daughter had her swim lessons last year, the instructor had us dunk her into the water knowing that she would breathe in some water. She said it is okay to do this up to 3 times in a 24 hour period, so I'm sure a face plunge in the tub isn't going to be anymore damaging.

Not sure what to tell you about the shampoo issue except try getting him to lay on his back. We finally got our daughter to do this, and it's so much easier for all of us.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 8:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009