• In the Spotlight:

How can I help my teenage daughter heel a broken heart?

My 14 year old daughter is heartbroken, her and a group of friends met at a mutual friends house. The group included the 16 year old boy she likes, she had been out 2x with him. The house they went to was the "new" girls house and she ended up kissing the boy my daughter likes. I know how I would deal with the situation but my heart is broken for her. So far I have just let her vent. She goes to a private school and is not in the same grade as either of them but she does have to interact at some point. She is a good hearted girl and always try to be the friend to the girl that no one is being nice to... please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• let her have her girlfriends over for a girls night. give them sodas, junk food, sappy movies and funny movies. let her vent it out with her friends, how stupid boys are etc.....the same kind of things you would do if it were you, you would want your girlfriends and maybe a drink, she wants the same thing shes just younger so you cater the food, drinks and movies to her age.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Take her out and have a day with her distractio is the best and if she can vent with you thats very healthy .OR THE BEST THING TO SAY (there is some out there for every one if its meant to be it will be ) but patience is your friend .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When we're young, we love so fully so when your heart gets stomped on, it's especially brutal as we are not yet jaded. She is just going to have to feel this mean social injustice and try to move forward. Letting her vent is a good idea. Helping to get her mind off it is a good idea too or fostering a new interest that becomes more important. Tell her, what goes around eventually comes around.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• help her find a new boy!!! take her out to the mall or where ever she likes to go and then see if there are any boys she thinks are cute!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• She'll get over it. But you know ...I have a 15 yr old step daughter and 15 yr old niece. Both of them think they are "so in love" with every boyfriend they have. They could be together for like 3 days and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. A week later the 'relationship' is over and now they hate life, want to cry all day, sulk in their rooms .......but wait .........a new boy comes along and they are in love all over again. Who knew puppy love was so complicated!
    Anonymous

• NO YOU CAN'T, BUT THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS DISTRACT HER IN SOME WAY, OTHER THAN THAT, REMEMBER THAT SAYING NOBODY LEARNS FROM OTHERS MISTAKES, WE LEARN FROM OUR OWN. THERE IS NO SHIELDING HER FROM BROKEN HEART, IT IS A LEARNING PROCESS THAT EVENTUALLY WILL HELP HER IN THE FUTURE ON HOW TO DEAL.

Answer by older at 1:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Keep her busy! Invite her friends over, take them out to the mall or movies, or take her somewhere just the 2 of you. I was just thinking the other day how heartbroken I used to get when my boyfriend dumped me. I wish my mom would have tried to pull me out of it but I think she thought if she left me alone I would feel better but I ended up thinkin of him nonstop! Good luck to your girl!
    Anonymous

• I grew up with many strong women that dont take shit like that. I was taught that when you're involved with a guy and he shows that he likes you and he does something stupid like that and he is not worth your time. Let her know there is other fish in the sea and she is bound to run into many of them. She is still young and let her know as she gets older guys will line up around the block for her =) Give her words of confidence like that. Tell her not to fuss over a man, there is better things to do, like school, and having silly sleepovers with a bunch of friends. Also tell her that he will regret it and when she finds herself a new man, who will be waaay cuter anyway, he will be so jealous! But in general tell her that guys arent worth enough to cry over, they are stupid in the long run anyway, and ladies dont tell me you dont agree. lol =)
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 4:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• well my mommy always took me out on the town like to get a haircut or get a new outfit or my nails done and it made think ha im so much better than that stupid guy and it was always good to see the look on there face lol i was a mean girl
    morganmommie

Answer by morganmommie at 2:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009