Please help! My daughter is having constipation issues.

My 2 and ½ year old daughter is having constipation issues. It’s been getting worse over the course of a year. A child shouldn’t be in this much pain when using the bathroom. It pains me to see her sweat and cry so much when trying to pass a stool that I don’t know what to do. The stool that comes out is as large as an adult stool, and hard. I've tried adding fiber to her diet, a spoonful of mineral oil, prune juice, cutting back on the milk, and nothing seems to be helping. I’ve been to the doctor for this issue. They don’t seem too concerned about it at all. She is even starting to lose weight. She lost 2lbs in three weeks. I made the doctors take an x-ray and all they said was “yep she’s full of poop.”......

TwinKleOut

Asked by TwinKleOut at 12:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Should I push for an MRI just to make sure that it isn’t IBS or Twisted Bowls? Today is going on the 5th day of not being able to produce a bowel movement despite trying ex lax that the pediatrician offered her. Also within this week I’ve also tried the prescription for guar gum but that gave her an allergic reaction, as well as a powder mixture that also produced an allergic reaction. Has anyone else been through this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It kills me to see her in pain like that, and I'm afraid the more painful bowel movements she has, the less inclined she'll be to go to the bathroom, and it'll just keep getting worse and worse. Help?
    TwinKleOut

Answer by TwinKleOut at 12:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• YUP GO BACK TO A GOOD HOSPITAL LIKE CHOP PHILLY
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my son was really const when he was one. after struggling and trying everything , the dr finally put us on a a daily stool softner. i think its a form of mirlax (sp?) he had to have it once a day in his drink. when it would get really stuck we would try baby enemas. or getting a thermometer and covering it in vaseline and jsut diggin gthe poop out....its horrible and it takes 2 people, but atleast it got it out. my son would scream and tear his littl ebut so bad it would bleed. Good luck, i hope some of this helped. if you dr isnt helping, you may try getting a 2nd opinion! I would nt let my child be miserable like that for two long, it cause damage.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my daughter had a problem like that when she was born because her thyroid never developed my sister has a boy who had constipation all of the time too go to your local drug store and get glycerine sapatories and some vasoline and that should help in a few hours umm if not go back to a different doctor cus that one sucks and the best part abou the glycerine is that it shouldnt hurt her at all if it was safe to use on my girl when she was like a month old
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Miralax!! Works well for my daughter and my nephew!
    LovingLifeMom2

Answer by LovingLifeMom2 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009