Help! I need toilet-training advice!

My son is almost 2 1/2 years old and he hardly shows any interest in toilet training at all. Shortly after his 2nd birthday we were placing him on the toilet and letting him get the feel of it, but somewhere along the way we stopped doing it. He shows signs of discomfort when he does a #2 in his diaper. When he does, he runs and hides his butt under blankets or stuffed animals. My son is behind in his speech development, so I think that may be why he isn't showing much an interest. I would really like to have him trained by his 3rd birthday. I've also been told that he will need to be trained before he starts preschool. Has anyone else had similar difficulty? Please share your stories. :)

LittleMewKT

Asked by LittleMewKT at 12:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take a look at the Potty Training Moms group on CM. There's a permanent post on there about the 3-day method for potty training. My daughter did great on this method at 19 months and she didn't show too many of the official "readiness signs." Potty training is always an adjustment, even if the child is totally "ready" it's learning something completely new, and takes them out of their comfort zone. What I liked about this method is it's a somewhat cold turkey approach -- from now on, we're using the potty. Simple as that. Your son should rise to the challenge.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Don't worry, my daughter was the same exact way. Around 1 1/2 years of age I'd sit her on the toilet she'd used it a few times. Then after that every time she'd need to number 2 she would hide in corners as if she did something wrong. She is now 3 and is just starting to get use to the toilet. I've gotten her to number 2 in the toilet but not 1. Just give your little one time, to understand what the toilet is used for. He won't be stuck in diapers forever, trust me! =)
    Supermom907

Answer by Supermom907 at 7:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009