Has your family went "GREEN" in any way?

I am so tired it being pushed that I have no desire. I know it sounds bad but I think its all a big fad... looking back years ago would our lives be any differant today if everyone went green way back when?? Prob. not. I hate those energy saving lightbulbs- they are so fricken dull. I refuse to buy em. I do use cloth bags when we go to the store but its just a conveinence for me to carry alot of grocerey's.

This is my opinion, I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way.... NO BASHING needed!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I try to be as "green" as possible. We definitely recycle and are not wasteful. We use the cloth bags. We used cloth diapers. I started buying "green" cleaning supplies, even thought I don't really like them. I plan to buy the lightbulbs when my old ones burn out. Like I said I try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It is just the politically correct stance of the moment.

The energy-saving light bulbs are actually hazardous if you break them!

We are only green when we are sick.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Think about it another way, some of the things that you do to go green are money savers.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well, I've celebrated Earth Day every year since 1990 (I was 12 years old). In Jr. High in 1992, I was on the Recycling Committee. For me, it's not a fad, it's a lifestyle. I use cloth diapers, cloth bags, recycle just about everything I can - if it's something we drink, I turn it in for cash (we get $15-$20 every time!) every other recyclable goes into our bin, conserve water as much as possible, I re-use LOTS of containers and we've started a garden...You using cloth bags at the store are a start and help out even though you may think you're particularly not making a difference. I'm sort of a "medium green" and that's OK. There are SOME things I can't give up yet. I clean with vinegar, baking soda, and tea tree oil. I love Seventh Generation's dish soap, but I don't like their laundry soap, so I know what you mean. Every little bit helps, and I think you're doing more than you're giving yourself credit for.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We use cloth bags for groceries and plan to cloth diaper when we have kids. We recycle our glass, plastic and cans.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 2:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• being green isn't afad...and ya, if people had been more careful with our planet starting 4 generations ago we wouldn't be in such a dire place now. i do everything i can to be green. (recycle, garden, green cleaners, 90% organic food, cloth diapers and cloth bags) getting a hybrid civic in about 4 months...if we owned our own home we'd have solar panels and thermal panels too...i want my ds, and my future grandkids, to be able to enjoy the earth too...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We buy recyled trash bags and the energy saving lightbulbs, I only use cold water to wash clothes, I dry everything on low heat, we use cloth grocery bags, we use cloth towels isntead of paper towels, we drink filtered water vs. bottled water and some other things that I can't think of right now. We firmly believe that global warming is an issue and as a family we do what we can to not contribute to the damage being done to the earth.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We don't do a lot, but we have done some things. We've recycled for years, we switched to the cloth shopping bags (remembering to bring them is the problem!), DH just bought the energy saving bulbs and I hate them - they are extremely dull and cast an eerie light, we switched from buying individual water bottles to the gallon sized and just refill the water bottles we saved, we use only cold water for laundry, and we take shorter showers.

I refuse to purchase the Green cleaning supplies because they cost so much more than the other cleaning supplies. I like to use other natural cleaning remedies anyway - vinegar, baking soda, and salt are my best friends.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Here's something to think about. Remember last year when the Olympics were in Bejing, China? Remember what the air looked like? That's a city and country that is way behind where we are in terms of "green-ness". They had to ban cars and trucks in the city for days to clear the air so that the athletes could breathe and the country wouldn't be embarrassed in front of the world.
    You are already somewhat green if you drive a car that uses unleaded, has had emissions testing, use any recycled products etc. Nope, not a fad this green thing. It is a way of life. We throw away 500 millions plastic grocery bags per year (they are made from oil - a product we all really really like right now). So, you can complain or you can join in voluntarily and happily since the planet is your children's inheritance. That's not bashing, that's just reality.
    jen1350

Answer by jen1350 at 5:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009