Is it necessary? (Potty Training Q)

To put your toddler on the potty EVERY half hour when your first training or can do you do like every hour or two later?

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 12:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Depends on age, and how long they can hold it. I never did the whole every half hour thing. I just started with pooping, and went on to peeing. It worked best for me because pooping happens A LOT less than peeing. The transition was easier for me. Good luck =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I did every hour, plus right after they got up and just before bet.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We started with when it would be "expected" to go potty...before bed, when you get up, before you leave the house and maybe when you return, before getting into the shower.

More than that, pay attention to the toddler and get an idea of how often s/he pees. (hint: boys don't seem to need to pee as often)

I never force them to sit on the potty at any kind of intervals. I tried with our first and it backfired. I just asked every so often if they had to go and if it had been a couple of hours, made up some excuse for them to decide to go on their own...even "your favorite show is coming on TV, we have to go potty first so we can see it!"
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with TiccledBlue...I never did timed intervals. I just would ask them every now and then if they needed to go. If they said no, I'd ask them to go try anyway. Or I'd say I had to go and let's see who can get done first. My boys always got a kick out of racing mommy to get done first. I'd always have them go before we sat down to eat, before we'd go outside, when we were leaving, before bed and right after they got up. The eating and outside worked for us b/c that was when they would usually go, and I knew they'd get so involved in eating or playing they wouldn't want to stop. I think it's best to figure out what works best for the kid...some kids do better with every half hour no matter what, others do better with just every now and then.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• its not necessary to do certain times. though remember they have to go usually twice as often as we do. make sure to put him/her on the potty before and after naps/bedtime, meals, baths, and about half hour after you give him/her something to drink. if you offer a drink all day try to take him/her to the bathroom a little more often.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009