Has anyone else had a bad experience at the hospital when you had your baby?

My bad experience is when I had my youngest boy. I was cramping extremely bad in my stomach a day after my c-section. My nurse would not listen to me. She said oh, you just need an enema. This happens all the time. It's just gas. I was annoyed with this because I knew it was something else. So I get the enema and am in the bathroom all day. LOL. And some hours after that I get up to hold my baby, and pass a softball sized blood clot! It was very scary, but I ended up fine. My doctor came in and said, ya a blood clot like that can cause major stomach pains. Uhhh...it was just a bad experience for me.

AidanDylan

Asked by AidanDylan at 1:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you should think of the positives, don't dwell on the past...especially if it's things that can upset you. i'm working on that myself...i get so depressed over things because I dwell on negative things as well...but, i'm really trying to think of all the wonderful things in my life....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My overall experience in the hospital was great.

What I didn't like is how I continually had to make it clear that my autonomy is the most important aspect of my health care. I am perfectly capable of understanding complex medical terms and conditions and making decisions for myself and my son. My son was given vaccines and formula fed in the NICU without my permission. I was in recovery while he was in the NICU and finding out when he was coming back to me was like pulling teeth. The other thing I was annoyed about was the doctor didn't believe me when I told him that the epidural didn't work lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I myself didnt really have a bad experience other than my nurse being extremely rude to my family. But after I had my son my husband kept saying he looked yellow. The nurses and ped. that came in said "oh its just the light". Well he kept getting more yellow up until we left and they assured us he was fine and healthy. And the hole that we noticed on his back was "no big deal". Well... the next night we had him at Childrens because by now he was orange. He was 1 point away from needing a blood transfusion. They hooked him up to the lights and he was fine. The hole on his back has a small tumor on the bottom but is also known as a "sacreal (spelled wrong) dimple. It just doesnt have a base (the hole has no end) but it's not a threat to him as of now. I dont recommend the hospital I had my children at, Ive heard tons more horror stories there since having my children.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 1:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My hospital experience was bad, not terrible, but still pretty bad. This led me to research everything I could about hospital birth proceedures and political issues. The research led me to the proof that homebirth is the safest option for the majority of women (including the majority of VBACs) and that the entire system needs to be revamped. It starts with us demanding the safest options to at least be available through insurance coverage and licensing for CPM's
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Mine could have been worse, but because of it I will NEVER deliver in a hospital again. Check out the popular journals, things like that happen ALL the time. It's disgusting.

I am so happy to be delivering this baby at home, it will be awesome! No stupid nurses or doctors telling me what to do, breaking my water without consent, inserting a monitor after I say no, etc. It will be a peaceful beautiful experience, like it SHOULD have been with my daughter. Birthing her was beautiful, but it was definitely not peaceful.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:10 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thankyou for your stories. I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. I watch tv and those women have the most incredible experiences, and I get sad thinking about my two c-sections. I have had more bad experiences in the hospital but I enjoy hearing everyone elses stories. I feel like I have something in common with you all. I used to put all my trust in doctors and nurses and now I realize that it is up to me and my motherly instinct alot of the time. I will put that to use the next time I have a baby.
    AidanDylan

Answer by AidanDylan at 10:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My first child was born at a military hospital and it was one of THE WORST experiences, rude nurses, a doctor I had never even met delieverd the baby, I was confinded to my bed the entire duration of my labor, given a catheter and couldnt even get up to go pee on my own, had BAD tearing, horrible post partum care, it was just AWFUL
    My 2nd child was also a military hospital and I had a c section because of breech presentation ( I regret I wasnt more educated because I never would have consented to the c section at all)

My 3rd was GREAT! I was planning a home water birth and several things made that not happen, mainly insurance issues :( I didnt go into the hospital until pretty near the end of my labor, I was only there for maybe an hour before Joe was born, no meds, no interventions, I just had the baby and it was a pretty good experience, a naval hospital so still military but best of the 3!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I seriously hate when people say that the *experience* doesn't matter?! Hell yes it matters. I am so glad that my daughter is here, but her birth should have been better. I feel I let her down because of what happened, and what I allowed to happen to her int he hospital. :( It is a feeling not easy to get over at all!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with the previous post....I didn't even realize that I was *neglecting* my negative feelings around my third birth, but shortly after she was about a year old, I realized I had never even told the birth story. I think women absolutely need to tell the birth story (and I LOVE to hear them AND tell them) - all aspects of it.

The results of me neglecting my disappointment with regards to how her birth progressed included getting more and more short-tempered with all three of my children (including the baby!) - I finally asked myself why I was so uptight all the time and when I realized I hadn't even shared the birth story, I decided to share it with some friends....had a few weepy days...and found myself feeling much more like myself again.

If we don't revisit unpleasant experiences, it does not mean they did not happen...we owe it to ourselves (and everyone around us) to heal.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 11:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I want to add that the system is as messed up as it is in part because women have this notion that the birth is over, so let's pick up and move on and focus on the positive - which, to some extent we DO need to do. But to not revisit some of the unnecessary hospital procedures and interventions not only does a disservice to our ability to embrace our entire birthing experience, it allows the system to continue to take advantage of its *power* - if no one comes back and says *hey, this is not right* - and just moves on...we leave the system broken for the next generation of birthing women.

We need to be educated on the policies, protocols, politics, and most definitely - the philosophy of birth. To assume that hospitals see birth the same way we do is to give up our rights to ourselves and our bodies and to relinquish responsibility of our babies in the first precious moments of their lives.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 11:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009