Do you have any suggestions?

My husband is only 20 years old. He's been at the same job since right before we got married, up until he got laid off work about 6 months ago. He worked there for 2 years. It doesn't look like they will be hiring him back any time soon, if at all. We're getting his unemployment, and living with my parents. We have our own place to live, we just can't afford to live in it, so we got our power and water cut off to save so we could make ends meet. He has such a hard time finding jobs because of his age, and they look more for experience. It annoys me because you have to learn somehow, and you have to start out somehow. We're living on $140 a week. I want to go to college, and have a career, but is it possible with our income? I couldn't fork out any extra for it. Some financial tips, and career tips would help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• With that amount of income, you should be able to qualify for financial aid. Be it grants, loans or scholarships. When you go to school full time, you are of course, eligible for other loans, etc.. to help you live off them. I got married and had kids at a young age too... but my husband was able to go to school full time with his grants and stuff... I am quite certain you would not be able to be a dependant of your parents though, otherwise, they would look at their income.

Go down to the college and talk to the financial aid office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's not necessarily all about age. Believe it or not, many employers look to hire young employees because you can pay them less. In general, younger employees have less experience in both a professional workplace as well as in the work they're doing and most don't know they COULD be making more. It's a well known tactic some larger companies use. So don't dispair too much because of age. If he finds something that he has a decent amount of experience in, they ought to hire him if they have a position available.

You need to fill out a fafsa form (www.fafsa.gov) I believe. Your college's financial aid office can help. Also check out www.fastweb.net. They can help you find scholarships/grants/loans that apply to you.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Many of us moms here have started their own business, there are significant advantages to working from home and lots of tax advantages as well.Look for a BBB seal on which ever you decide, and be consistent, have a good support team behind you as well. You can generate a residual income that is inheritable to your family. If you need any help, just let me know. Also check www.scambusters.org first so you know what to avoid.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 2:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You would qualify for all kinds of financial aide and daycare assistance if needed. Check with area Vo-tech schools for BOTH of you. Some programs only take 6 months and then you would have a much better chance of getting a job.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I work from home with a great company that has been around for 24 years and with the better business bureau. What is so great about what I do is that there’s no large investment less than $30, no stocking/delivery of products like Mary Kay, Avon, etc., and there is no selling! I simply help others save money, live green and earn an extra income. While this isn't a "get rich quick" type thing, the money can be great if you are motivated and dedicated to making your own business work! I'd love to share it with you! Just request more info. at my site www.familiesrok.com and I can share everything with you over an appointment. I've been helping Moms and Dads nationwide and I can help you too.
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 12:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009