HR 669 Bill

OK let me sum this up. April 23 they are going to try and pass a bill ( HR 669 ) that bans all non-native animals. Any of you that own an exotic bird, snake, mammal, fish, etc., will NO LONGER legally be aloud to own your pet. Anyone in the pet trade will no longer be allowed to sell, trade, barter, move across state lines, breed or own any of their animals. THIS BILL PRETAINS TO EVERYONE!!!!!! Any animal that wasn't here on this continent before Columbus set foot on this land will be prohibitated. Google HR 669 and check it out for yourself. I am totally shocked and hurt by this as I will lose all my animals and the choice to go into business with my animals. Help stop this before it's too late!!!

www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf

heatherbug82

Asked by heatherbug82 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You obviously did not read the WHOLE thing. If you legally have animals now, you get to keep them.
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669

(f) Animals Owned Lawfully Prior to Prohibition of Importation- This Act and regulations issued under this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any person to possess an individual animal of any species if such individual animal was legally owned by the person before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection (e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being imported under the regulations issued under this Act.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• why would they do something like this??

i think our country needs to put more effort into things that are actually IMPORTANT
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Anon: 2:25.....
    But what you seemed to fail to notice is that you have to legally prove that you had them before the risk assesment. How do you suppose people show legality of owning a fish or snake? Other than any vet records, but what if those aren't available? Then what???
    heatherbug82

Answer by heatherbug82 at 2:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Guess you need to get it done now ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• or pray you pet isn't on that list.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately this is written really vague. Any kind of animal can be added to the list. I understand the harm certain non native animals can cause to the environment though...

I am not an exotic animal lover so for me I am torn about it. I can see why people think it is necessary but at the same time they need to make it a little more clear.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Now theyre regulating the kind of animals youre allowed to own. Ha, seems like the only "choice" Democrats are for are for killing babies. Everything else is their way or the highway..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Strange indeed 9:11 this is what America wanted regulation out the wazoo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They may not be taking the pets you currently own away, but they still are telling you what pets you can and cannot have from this day out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Has it occurred to anyone that legislation like this stems from things like a pet chimpanzee attacking someone, or a pet tiger killing someone? It's because people are stupid and they try to keep exotic pets in their apartments where there isn't enough room for them! We have an exotic animal shelter near us. If you went there you would see Lions who act goofy because they didn't have any room to grow, a liger, wolves, etc. The owners will tell you they got these animals from people who didn't understand what they were getting into! The lion they have was living in a one bedroom New York City apartment! Hello!????
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2009