When did Satan lie?

I'm not asking this to be snarky, I'm interested in the viewpoints of Christians (or others who follow Abrahamic God and share the belief in Satan)... it is said over and over again that Satan is the father of lies, the great deceiver, etc. However, I don't believe that he ever actually is shown to be a liar by his own words - just by the epithets given to him.

Is it because the Bible says he is a liar? Because of other reasoning? Do you interpret, say, his words in the Garden of Eden to be untruthful even though he actually spoke the truth? How do you interpret that story?

I'm interested in all thoughts - I don't believe in a literal Being who is Satan, so "Satan isn't real" is not something I disagree with, but also not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 2:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's all very funny to me. The notion that humans, and christians in particular, carry that our souls are soooo important that two deities are fighting over them. I have read the bible through a few times and have not found any lies that the figure of satan ever told. He told Eve she would gain knowlege of good and evil and she did. He told her she would not die the day she ate and she and Adam lived another 900 years, so that was true. I have also not read of any instance where satan wiped out entire cities--or the whole world--as god did. Satan does not have the list of murders to his name that Yahweh has. God lied more than the supposed Prince of lies. Makes you wonder. Maybe Yahweh was the evil entity and satan was the good one.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes the bible does say that satan is a lier and it is true every word of the bible is true... Satan comes to lie,kill,steal and destroy thats why you see so much stuff bad in the world.. IF you are not of God you are of satan there is no in between. Satan wants people think of these other religions to get there minds of God when its not even about a religion its about a relationship with Jesus Christ... IF people would give God a chance they will not want to go back to the ways they are living its better then words can say.. Jesus is love and wants to give us whatever you ask .. Just give the Lord a chance and see that he is good all the time...

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When Satan told Eve she wouldn't really die but would be like God, well she's dead.....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Exactly what lisarose said. The sad thing is a lot of people still believe this. The majority of Christians believe in the immortality of the soul. I believe the greatest lie Satan has ever told is to himself---

Isaiah14:13,14- "For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High."

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I always contemplate why the believers don't wonder if Satan- if he is that big old liar- didn't decieve men into writing false statements in the Bible? If his sole purpose is to trick man into not following God, then wouldn't this be the ultimate way to do that?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• In the garden of eden, he told eve she would be smart knowing the difference between right and wrong
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Recognizing the lies of satan is one of the biggest combats you have against him. Once you learn to recognize his voice, then you can usually go against it with Gods Word. Everything he speaks is in complete contradiction to what God says. Hes quite slick and uses your insecurities and shortcomings to get at you. Those places where youre not quite confident and sure of yourself. He knows what they are. The condemnation of the past....he uses that to beat you over the head. Anytime youre feeling badly about something in the past and you just cant shake it, then I would consider it torment from satan himself. I do believe in a literal being of satan who used to be an angel of light, named lucifer. I also believe that there are invisible beings on the earth, called demons. They are all actually spirits. I don't need my logic, reasoning and analysis to know this. Its discernment.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Great answer momofsaee! I agree totally. He knows once we are saved he can no longer have our souls, so he tries to steal the next best thing to him, our testimony. He will use anyone and anything,nothing or no one is off limits. He also knows the Bible better than any human ever could. He knows at the end WE WIN and HE LOSES! He doesn't want that. He can't change it,because it's already predestined,so he wants to take as many with him as he can. So, he will lie,and as momofsaee said, every word out of his mouth is in direct contradiction to God. Even some of these responses show it. But, as Christians, we have the blinders lifted,and learn to recognize when it's him, and when it's not. Not always of course,and we do fall into his traps, but we have a better discernment. And, I agree with momofsaee, he is indeed a true being, and hell is a very real place.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Satan has been portrayed throughout the Bible as a liar beginning in Genesis and was subsequently referred to as the Father of Lies which he most assuredly is. He is very real, but thankfully, I read the end of the Book, and we win! He began lying in the garden of Eden, and a lot of his lies aren't outright lies because his goal is to deceive. For instance, he told Eve that she would not die, but as soon as she ate from the tree of life, she died a SPIRITUAL death. So he minces words and twists things around to suit his purpose and to deceive believers especially.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• A better question would be when does satan not lie to us.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2009