are there classes i can take

to be more nurturing? i mean its too late for my son i messed him up already but for next time ;]

basically my son was the 'test' baby and now i know what NOT to do next time around LOL. i want to have a new baby just so i can prove im not a bad person i just dont know wtf i was doing. when i was pregnant i thought i had it all figured out but no. definitely did not!

and now that i know better i will do better, so are there classes? lol.

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 2:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Classes that just say, here's how to handle XYZ situation probably won't help, you're right about that. However, classes that help you to truly understand and connect with your child might.

Learn about attachment parenting - even if you are not a naturally "nurturing" person, it is biologically wired into you to bond with your babies. (It could be that being bonded doesn't look the same for you as it does for other people, too.) Read anything by Naomi Aldort - who offers phone counseling, as well you can find it on her website; also the book Parenting From the Inside Out might be helpful to you.

I also want to say that unless your son is emancipated and estranged, you can always change anything in that relationship that you would like to. He is probably not ruined! :)

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• you can take parenting classes. contact your local WIC office, or DHS...even the labor and delivery department at the hospital might know of some.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 3:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• yeah but parenting classes arent going to teach me how to be a nurturing mother. im not nurturing at all and neither is/was my mother. and neither was hers. i want to break this cycle.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think its pretty awesome that you recognize this cycle. I have things like that I'm trying to change in my mothering skills as well. You might look into the more scientific studies like Child Psychology to learn how to nurture. I took that class in college and I know it covered things like that. Also are there any women in your life who's mothering skills you admire? Even an older woman who has already raised her children could be a mentor for you.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i took a child psychology class at the local JC when i was pregnant but i dropped out that semester because i couldnt handle school AND being pregnant.... there really isnt anyone who's parenting skills i admire that i know.. my friends soon to be ex wife is an amazing mother but ive never met her personally and now that they're going through a divorce im not going to start ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You already took it. It's called your first child. No matter how many classes you take before hand, you can never be prepared on how to handle a child until you have one yourself. Those are the people I hate. The ones who don't have any kids but that try to tell me how to raise mine. I actually asked one if they wanted to watch my ASD son for just one night, they did, and lets just say it was a disaster, and it was at our house, so she couldn't use the excuse he wasn't used to the environment.
    And I'm sure you didn't mess your son up that bad. And I found I was a better mom with my second and third child then I was with the first. You are more confident and you have a general idea of what is going to happen and when.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Parenting from the Inside Out - by Dan Siegel - it's not a class, it's a book. You say it's a cycle in your family - this book may help you figure out how to break that cycle; you probably parent the same way you were parented - those relationship formed the basis of how you interact with your own family. Get to the root - if you want classes to take, learn about interpersonal psychology - how relationships help form who we become, and how we can CHANGE.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes there are and from your post, it sounds like you need parenting classes. It is not to late for your son. Call your CPS office, WIC office, etc they can lead you in the right direction. I really doubt you can learn to be more nuturing. Good luck, parenting is the hardest job a person will ever have. No parent is perfect and all parents make mistakes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• you want to have another baby to prove you are not a bad person. when in posts before you kept saying your son was a mistake and blah blah blah that is no reason to have a baby and you said you already messed up your son i say quit while your behind. you should have taken classes when you were pregnant the first time apparently.
    Anonymous

• he was a mistake! i wasnt being careful! an accident is when the condom slips off or youre taking antibiotics and you dont realize it can make birth control fail! but i was kidding about planning another baby, not for a long time. should have would have could have but didnt, build me a time machine ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009