My four year old son has had a UTI (urinary tract infection) and I believe he currently has another one. because this is so uncommon in boys my doctor has scheduled an appt with a urologist. He currently has the urge to pee all the time and is constantly wiggling around and grabbing down there. I ask him why he is doing that and he said because it hurts and he doesn't want to pee his pants. anyone else boy had this? tues can't come soon enough with the urologist!

Anyone else's son ever experience this? UTI

Asked by carolmich at 4:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Health

• I don't know if its going to be similar at all, but my niece used to "have" UTI's all the time. They told her to stop taking bubble baths and to do this and to do that and they never went away. Turned out, she didn't have UTI's at all, she had cancer. Whelms tumor I think it was called. It starts in utero and by the time they caught it, it had spread into her lungs and most of her organs. She's completely fine now, but it was a scare. I don't know if boys are the same at all, but I just wanted to throw that out there. It took a long time for the docs here to realize that, so I just wanted to give you a heads up. They usually find them around this age. Hate to scare you, but I hope it helps.

Answer by NomadSara at 4:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with the pp. and I've had UTI and they suck and hurt. hope he gets better soon.

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 5:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My 10 year old son had a problem when he was 5. (I am not saying this is what is wrong with your son, but it is a situation to look out for). We found out that his urine flowed backwards from his bladder up into his kidneys. He had SEVERE UTI's. At one point, the infection got in his blood and he nearly died. He was on medication until the age of 7, and then doctors did Deflux surgery to repair his ureter. The situation is diagnosed by doing a test called a VCUG.

Answer by swaites2003 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I am so concerned about him. I hope they find out soon what is wrong. He's already had one UTI and i'm sure he has another right now. to the PP was the surgery they did on your son a long procedure or was it something he recooperated from fairly quick? Thanks! I would appreciate anymore input if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts!

Answer by carolmich at 5:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yes, and I've had them too. Until the doctor visit, give him cranberry juice...100% make sure it's not cocktail. I'd give it at least 3-4 cups per day and water otherwise. If he's in much pain giving him a dose of tylenol or ibuprofen won't hurt. If it's that bad the doctor will likely prescribe him antibiotics that will make him feel better, but the above mentioned will help some until you can get to the doctor.

Answer by asmith62877 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Increase the water intake a lot to flush the system. Since UTI is related to a bacteria overgrowth, avoid sugary foods and drinks. Sugar feeds bacteria. 100% Cran juice unsweetened is good. Have read that folks have found relief from Alka Selzer as well as Apple Cider Vinegar.

Answer by Trinjo at 11:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• make sure he drinks a lot of distilled water it helps

Answer by Patience1 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• yep my boy but has other issues & yes had urologist but if ped dr wants him to be seen do it & good luck

Answer by ouromnifamily at 2:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My daughter had them so much when she was 3-5. It is from the pull ups and someone told me to cut back on sugar. Good Luck!!

Answer by teamhalsey at 10:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If you would like to know about a natural supplement to keep on hand to prevent UTIs PM me.

Answer by MentorByDesign at 4:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008