Is it ok to drink even if...

You don't get so drunk you can't cared for you kids.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 3:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• If your question is: Can you drink around your kids? Then yes as long as you won't be driving anywhere, are at home with friends/family... And don't get fall down drunk. They still need you to take care of them. As for driving in case of an emergency, we always make sure no matter where we are that there's a designated driver. And I see a red flag when someone say's they drink alone... Maybe one glass of wine, but getting drunk alone is s sign of alcoholism.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I did it and didnt get drunk. I had hubby watch my son while I went out with my sister and friends. He put my son to bed and all was well, no biggy.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had a few drinks (or more) with my uncle on Thanksgiving, but I waited until they went to bed to really get going. The next time I drank was when I went on vacation without my kids and it's a good thing they weren't there because I wouldn't have been able to take care of them! Usually I don't drink, especially around my kids.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It depends. If you have a glass of wine or a beer or two, and are seriously fine, then sure, it's okay. But if you're having any more than that you might not be the best judge of whether or not you are still able to properly care for your kids. Alcohol tends to attack the common sense receptors first! LOL I think if you really want to drink more than a glass, you should probably get a babysitter or make sure another adult is there who will be stone-cold sober.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• someone else needs to be there with you. Just incase something does happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I can have ONE if I am alone with the kids. I rarely drink, but I never want to have more alcohol in my system than I can legally drive with. If my kids ever get hurt or sick, I will have to take them to the ER and if you show up at the ER with alcohol on your breath.... well, its bad!

If I have a bunch of friends over, I might have 2 or 3. But I stop at that much for the same reason as above.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• One drink is fine. If you are going out drinking with friends or family, you should have someone that can drive you home and/or take care of the kids if you do drink too much. I have had one drink in front of my kid on many occasions, it is all a matter of moderation and responsibility.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ya if u dont get drunk, sometimes i have my days where i just need to sit and have a drink. i will only get drunk if someone else has my kids.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 10:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009