What can I expect if I'm flying stand-by?

I'm travelling in about a month and I'm flying on a "buddy pass" secured by my friend who's job includes flight benefits. (She and I are going on vacation, but she lives in another state and we're meeting at our destination, so I'll be going alone.) I was just wondering how flying stand-by works? I'm scheduled to leave on a wednesday evening, have a lay over in Denver and arrive in Dallas around midnight. Are my chances pretty good for making it there on that schedule? Is there a possibility I might get stuck away from home and not be able to get there or back? Any tips or info at all would be so appreciated!

MommyAddie

Asked by MommyAddie at 4:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you don't make one flight, you might make another. It just means that you get to where your going, but you might not get there in the desired amt of time. BUT, you might get to fly first class too. You wait until everyone has checked in and if they have a spot for you, then they will seat you last. If you get on the first flight, then you will probably get on the second one too. THey usually will book you all the way through to your destination. I have flown stand by with my mom many times. Her sister in law works for United.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It depends on her hire date. If there are alot of people listed, she might be ahead of some dependng on her hire date. If she is below alot of people, you will do alot of waiting....and hope to get on the following flights. You could possibly spend the whole day at the airport if it is a full flight and with lots of non revs listed. Good luck!
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 4:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• LOL if you get lucky like my parents and I did we got to fly first class!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Flying stand by, you could actually not even make it if they don't have open seats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with 6:02, if everyone shows up and it's a full flight, there won't be any room for you. There's not much you can do other than hurry up and wait. Get there in plenty of time, be at your gate & checked in--that way if there is an opening, you'll be right there to board.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you are flying late at night you'll probably make your flight. Stand-by means you only fly if they have available seats and airlines tend to overbook. My husband works for the airlines so we fly for free but it is stand-by. We've made most of our flights but the last one we didn't get to sit together because we boarded last and there were no seats left together. I've also missed flights because of it. My husband was going to Vegas for something for work and wanted me to go with but it being Vegas the flight was completely booked and I missed the flight and went home. My husband got on because he was able to ride in the "jump seat" (the fold down seats the flight attendants use) because it was for business for him.
    He always tells me if we do go on a trip with the kids we'll take a late flight because they are usually empty.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thanks for all the info so far. I'm flying in the middle of the week, leaving Milwaukee around 6:30 pm, heading to Denver for a lay over and then supposed to be catching a 9:30 pm flight to Dallas. I'm really hoping not that many other people have the same plan! Do I have a better shot since I'm going in the middle of the week and flying in the evening and night?
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It really wont matter when you go. If there are seats open, you still have to go by hire date. Then they go down the list of non revs. But if you have a paid ticket, you go ahead of non revs, but you are flying on a pass so you would have to wait. So you might have a good chance and you might not. But you can always look at the flight loads a couple days before to give you an idea on how full the flight is and how many non revs are listed.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 1:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009