Do you think that Obama should prosecute Bush administration officials.....

who allowed the torture of prisoners to occur, to set an example for the future that America does not tolerate torture?

I am on the fence when it comes to prosecuting them I do however think we need to show to the world that we were VERY wrong in doing this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, they were doing what they thought was right. Its over with now people just need to get over it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Obama IS just the person, as apologizing for America is his "THING".

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes, because that would truly help bring Americans together during this time of divisiveness and crisis. Also because it's so touching when current presidents attack former ones, and really demonstrates national unity. *SARCASM*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Get over it, Bush is not in office anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• To keep up with the flow of the other posts -

No. Why should the man who was the leader (and friends) of this country for 8 years get in trouble for allowing and okaying torture? I mean, come on! Even though it goes against everything we stand for, you know, "innocent until proven guilty" it's okay because Bush and friends said so. On that note, I think we should torture Americans who we feel might be guilty of a crime. Lets torture "suspected" murders. People who shoot up schools or nursing homes or kill children should all be tortured until we get as much information as possible.

I think it's fine that the highest level of our government has sunk down to to lows of uncivilized countries. Yay for us!

Whew! /Sarcasm.

____

Yes, I know torture has probably been happening for years and years but in this case, when our very own president (and friends) was involved, I'd say it's time something is done.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sure, torture them for keeping us safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• * matthewscandi

No, they were doing what they thought was right. Its over with now people just need to get over it.

The Nazi's were just doing what they thought was right as well, but we still bring them up on charges of war crimes. Just because a person thinks they are right doesn't mean they are or that they should be excused.

As far as whether I think they should be charged or not, let the investigation finish first. We have a policy of innocent until proven guilty in this country, so we need to let the investigation happen first, look a the results, and then decide where to go from there. I believe no one is above the law, so if the law was broken then yes charges should be brought.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

I'm quite sure Hitler thought he was doing the right thing when he tortured many people as well. I am sure Saddam himself felt he was doing the right thing to protect himself and certain people in his country. I am sure the Israeli people believe they are doing the right thing by severely oppressing the Palestinians. How does it make it right for one group of people but not others?

I am not sure if prosecuting them is right or not, but then I think of the lower level soldiers who got prosecuted and found guilty of basically the same thing. So if they make the rules implied or spoken then go against those rules and charge somebody else with it then they too should be charged. By charging the lower level soldiers with misconduct or whatever they called it means they know it is wrong. So therefore they too should be tried.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Only if we can prosecute Clinton for Rendition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The rendition policy traces its roots to the administration of former President Bill Clinton. Following the attacks of September 11, 2001, however, what had been a limited program expanded dramatically, with some experts estimating that 150 foreign nationals have been victims of rendition in the last few years alone. Foreign nationals suspected of terrorism have been transported to detention and interrogation facilities in Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Diego Garcia, Afghanistan.

Bush took the rendition & ran w/ it making it a much more severe program than Clinton had intended.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009