Does anyone know why or have any suggestions? My 3 year old son rips his books and movie covers I am not sure why but I buy him these nice things and he just ruins them. Anyone know why?

rstohel

Asked by rstohel at 4:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Because he's 3 lol!
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 4:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It is what boys do....they are wired different
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Previous posters said it lol..he is a lil turd of a boy and he is three! Try just sitting him down and asking him why do you tear those things honey...not mean or anything..see what he says. Ask him not to do it anymore and if he likes to tear things up just for fun get him some old newspapers or something to where he isnt ruining anything. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Take them away from him and tell him that until he decides to treat things with the respect due them, he shan't have them.

There is NO excuse for doing things like that, boy or girl, 3 years old or 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yep, its the age. I learned this the hard way, but books and movies are not age appropriate toys for a 3 yr old. Neither are markers, crayons...ect. If you want him to read, then read to him, put the movies up where he cant get them and keep all toys that can be destroyed out of his reach. I went through this many times with my two oldest girls. I thought WHY can't they take care of their stuff? It finally dawned on me.....They werent ready for toys like that. They simply werent mature enough. My three yr old got ahold of one of our Wii games and tried to tear up the cover. He just doesnt understand. So we keep them out of his reach.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• normal. just like a puppy who ruins your nice things. you have to adapt your life around the behaviour by putting things up where the child cant reach them.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 9:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You can start teaching respect for things at a very early age. Yes, a 3 year old will rip things up and be destructive without the proper guidance. At first, I allowed books only with supervision and while looking at them, I would say things like "we always treat our books with care." and "books are very special. If we take care of them, they will last a long, long time". Maybe you could put them out of reach and supervise use of books until he can learn to respect property. As for videos...I don't let my young children handle videos. I'm in charge of the electronics until they are old enough to understand how to use and care for them properly. My parents always told me that it's not what you have but how you take care of it and of course "Waste not, want not.". Something to think about. Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• By the way, I whole-heartedly disagree with the above poster who does not let her child have art materials. Markers, crayons, etc. are very age appropriate...with supervision. Put them up until you have the time to sit together with your child. With your example, he will see that markers etc. are only for paper. Supervision is the magic ingredient that I see less and less of in todays parenting. Nothing can replace a parents close attention. Kids need it and if they cannot get it in a positive way, they will act out in order to get it.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Is it possible that he just enjoys the sound or the feeling of ripping the paper?
    If that's the case maybe you could let him do a craft project with ripped up paper. I do that with my daughter she really enjoys it.
    Find scraps of colored tissue or construction paper and let your little one tear away! Then provide a small amount of glue in a shallow bowl so that he can dip the scraps into the glue before sticking them to a piece of posterboard. I actually cut a large piece of posterboard in half to make two blank canvases.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with heatherama - maybe he just likes the feel or the sound. Give him a basket of paper he CAN rip... tissue paper, construction paper, junk mail. Skip newspaper though since the ink will get all over his fingers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2009