Anxiety attacks question

I have been trying to go to bed. When I lay down I start to have anxiety attacks. These attacks are made better for sitting up or standing. Seriously, I know I panic and have anxiety, but never this bad. Has anyone ever heard of this? It is so bad I can't sleep because I can't lie down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Just breath...there are breathing exercises you can do that should help you when you lay down. There is one specifically Ive heard of. Close your eyes, imagine your toes wiggle them then count to five slowly...then move your thought up to your knee...the count to five again slowly...continue doing these steps all the way up your body to each distinctive body part and count to five slowly each time while breathing calming in and out with relaxing breaths. As you move your thoughts up you should feel a calm come on and when you get to the top of your head take one last big in hale then out! You should fel better. Just focus on counting and breathing. When you are done..keep you eyes closed and just go to sleep if you feel better. GL!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• did u get some medication from your dr for this
    cook224

Answer by cook224 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have this too a lot. When I get like this I go to the couch an sleep in a combination sitting up right/fetal position on the couch. It works great. You probablydo need to see a doctor but this could help you get sleep until they get you the right meds. The more sleep you lose the worse it gets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ok, I finally fell asleep around 3 sitting up. I don't know how to explain this. I am anxious anyway, but this was over the top. I can sleep fine, it was the physical act of lying down that caused the panic. I am wondering if I had a heart or lung issue because it was soo drastic. Thanks for caring enough to reply and yes I will mention this to my doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I suggest going to the doc and getting evaluated and possible meds. I take Xanax as needed for anxiety attacks as needed and it really helps me sleep. Try deep breathing, keeping the room dark and quiet. Exercise before bed. If you can, try and nap during the day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009