Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do about my nieces situation?

ok,my sister & her hubby are about to go throuh a ugly devorce,and they have 2 kids(i love my nieces) and her hubby said that he dosnt want anything to do with his kids,he wants to sighn abandonment papers! they are 6&3 years old! and my stupid sister is actually Making him keep the kids just so she can have a break and go to parties& stuff. i asked her"how can you leave you kids w someone that obiously dosnt want them?" she just says no one else will baby sitt them every weekend. OMG! she makes me so upset, i dont konw if i should take the kids from her or what. im so sad about this, i do love my stupid sister, but come on, i feel like i need to give her a chance to grow up. but i dont so lost


Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • She shouldn't have had children if she needs someone to watch them every weekend so she can go do whatever. She is a mom now and needs to grow up and act like one. All us parents loose some of that when we welcome our children into the world. Sure my husband and I miss it a little bit and we go out once a month if we can, but I would never change anything with my kids so I could go party all the time. I love them, they are our resposiblility.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • If your able get them children before something happens to them, I don't understand why someone can just wake up one day and walk away from there children. There father sounds like if he just can't take it anymore his just gonna walk away too. If you or someone in your family can help out with these children please step in before the state does....GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • Thank you.i dont understand either. i kinda think hes just mad at my sister&taking it out on the kids,wich is horrible also, i just dont know what to do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • I suspect that if they are just starting the divorce proceedings, emotions are high and rational thought is low - for both of them. Honestly, she shouldn't let him sign - not because it means she can party, but because the girls would still be better off seeing their father (even if at first he's angry, confused and mixed up about his emotions). It's going to take YEARS for the emotions to die down, and if he signs abandonment papers, that would likely have repercussions surpassing anything either of them can imagine. He needs to have at least the door open for visitations because odds are, he's angry at his wife and wants to hurt her and thinks this is the best way to hurt her, but as the emotions die down, he'll realize he doesn't want to hurt his daughters and will regret any decision that forces himself away from them. Unfortunately, it could take years for rational thought to overtake emotional.

    Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • They both sound like idiots to me........they need to take a moment and stop putting their feelings above the welfare of the kids......

    Answer by 4kidsandadog at 10:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • I would try to get them, and I would also look into the possibilty of having her tubes tied. I don't know if that is even possible or not, but a woman who is no more responsible that she is does not need to be allowed to give birth to any more children. I know that sounds harsh, but when is enough going to be enough?

    Answer by NannyB. at 10:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009