how can i stop my 5 wks old boy from crying at night?

hi, my 5 wks old son been crying for almost everynight , like from 9 pm to 2 am without any reasons! well, maybe there's reason but i couldn't figure it out! like, i already changed his diaper, clothes, mittenes, gave him milk, i even tried pacifier, he wouldn't stop. turned ff the electric fan coz maybe he's cold, or i tried turning on the electrc fan too -- maybe he's hot! but no, he jst keeps on crying ! i tried to carry him, sing song, my husband and i took turns. then at 3 am, he jst slept! we read fr the book that its colic? is it normal?what else should i do if my baby keeps crying --- colic? ! it frightens me, or stress me when he cries!

mommylei1202

Asked by mommylei1202 at 6:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out the video "The Happiest Baby on the Block." It is amazing! I am positive that if it weren't for this Dr and his soothing technique, my daughter would have been diagnosed with colic.

What he describes is that the first 3 months outside the womb are essentially "The 4th trimester" and for a lot of babies, they need things that mimic life in the womb in order to be soothed.

Watch this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gmw-sZByTA
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 7:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Maybe his stomach is bothering him? Could be really gassy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• First of all, he shouldn't be drinking milk! He should only be on formula or breastmilk!

Secondly, welcome to the witching hour. His happens to be from 9-2am. I had one boy with one from 6pm to 9pm like clockwork. It was a LONG 2 months but as quickly as he started doing it, he stopped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Anon 707, I'm sure she meant formula or BM, not cow's milk. It could be colic. I agree with the recommendation for "The happiest Baby on the block".. Do you have a baby swing? Sometimes this was all that would work for my daughter, so we ended up moving it into our room. Sorry you're going through this... it won't last forever but even a couple of months feels VERY long at the time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Could be gassy, could be colicky, could be he wants to be swaddled. I only had one night like that with my little girl. She just wanted to be swaddled really tight. Once we figured that out, she slept for the whole night.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009