What Are The Symptoms Of ADHD?

I think my 3 year old has ADHD.How Do I tell?.Her Father has ADHD and bipolar.Could she have got it from him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You want an easy, unharmful test to see if she really does have ADHD? I know it sounds crazy, but give her something with ALOT of caffeine in it. My sons per-k teacher suggested it for him and it worked.If she does have ADHD, the caffeine will actually calm them down.
    What is happening is the persons body is moving so much that the brain can't keep up. So, the caffeine actually helps their mind catch up with her body so she can actually sit and focus. AS you can tell, I have a son with ADHD and my hubby has it to. So, yes, it is very likely that she inherited it from her dad.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with spiritguide, to a point. I have to say, though, that ADHD and bipolar both run in families, and can often be misdiagnosed for each other, since the symptoms can be so similiar. So...if you're really concerned, I would have her see a dr, and explain to the dr the family history, so they can be aware of what they need to be looking for.

But as for symptoms you would be looking for...at 3, it's really hard to tell. The symptoms that show up in an older child, say 5, 6, or 8, are really rather normal for a 3 yr old.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes, tropical, your right. My BIL has bipolar and for the longest time, he was miss dx'ed. I guess I forgot to mention that the caffeine thing is just a test. I fit works, you should definately take her to a doc. I don't think they will put her on meds yet, unles it is really bad. But docs do have great ways of helping the parent deal with it until they are old enough for meds. We started thinking my son was ADHD when he was about 4. He was in pre-k and he couldn't sit still for anything. Even if he was sitting, part of him was still moving.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• studies show that if kids have enough omega 3's (fish oil) that their ADHD sibsides quite a bit. American children don't get ANY omega 3's because most kids don't eat fish. In japan, kids don't have ADHD, or it's VERY rare compared to here in America where TOO many kids have it. Try giving her omega 3 supplements before you give her some HORRIBLE medication. Omega 3 is THE MOST efficiant fat that the brain uses.

http://www.drsearsfamilyapproved.com/shopcontent.asp?type=dha

here is an article w/ more info. American kids have ADHD because they just have a lack of proper fats in their diet. When i started giving my daughter omega 3's her she made a 180 degree turn around in school & home. She now has incredible focuss. There are more articles out there too, this was just the first that popped up.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The symptoms of adhd is cant sit still, short attention span, the child or person cant focus on on one thing they go from one thing to another I hope this helps. You can search goggle and type in Adhd or Attention Deficit hyper active disorder or ADHD- I have ADD -Attention Deficit Disorder- I take medicine for it and it help i seen thire herbal remidies for it as well.
    momof3136

Answer by momof3136 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• http://www.aboutomega3.com/fish_oil_and_children.html

here's a better article that includes ADHD info.

Please read it before giving your child a med. that can really screw him up in the long run.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ADD and ADHD

The most common link of fish oil and children is fish oil’s effects on ADD and ADHD. More and more school-age children are being diagnosed with ADD and ADHD and many parents are upset when they’re told to put their children on powerful drugs like Ritalin. Thankfully, it appears that instead parents can use fish oil and children can get the benefits of a focus enhancer without the powerful side effects.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you suspect ANYthing, have her evaluated first of all. It's pretty young to be diagnosed, but not unheard of. Usually they aren't diagnosed until in school (or at least preschool) since the behaviors need to be consistent in all settings.

It does run in families, so it is possible she has it from the genetic link to her father.

On the go as if run by a motor.
    Unable to sit still when it's expected (not "won't" but CAN'T)
    Constantly making noises or motions
    Inability to pay attention to detail or short attention span (varies depending on the type)

These are just a few of the things. Yes, some will argue that this is typical toddler/preschooler behavior. However, if you've ever seen ADHD in action, you KNOW there's a difference!!

If she receives a diagnosis, don't feel you have to jump right to medication. We're not. We're keeping it as a "last ditch effort" to help our son. If we HAVE to, we will...but n
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Okay...it cut me off and I was within the character limit! grrr

That should read "...but not yet"
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2009