When giving your child medicine do you give them dosage according to the age or weight?

My daughter weighs a little over 100lbs and is 8 years old. I noticed when I give her medicine it says children over and under 12 you need to give a specific dosage. She weighs more than some adults so that sometimes bewilders me but I just give her in between dosages. What do you do?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 7:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Weight is the governing factor because the medicine has no idea how OLD she is, but her body handles it in a certain way based on her size.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I go by weight.... I have a 6 year old that weighs 26 pounds, so I have to dose her as if she were a two year old. I would imagine the same goes for a child that is larger than the average age dosage.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Some medicines don't even say the weight, just the age. And my baby weighs more than an average 12 year old.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• "Some medicines don't even say the weight, just the age. And my baby weighs more than an average 12 year old."

thats tougher to figure out then.... I think your probably doing the right thing by giving her an in between dose. Your right about some "adults" weighing 100 pounds (or so)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I always go by weight.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I go by weight whenever I can. If it doesn't give weight, only age, or if the weight is really drastically off from age, then I go by age. The ones that say under 12 yrs old, I actually asked a dr about that one time. What she told me was that around age 12 is when the puberty hormones start to kick in, and you start getting a more "adult" chemistry, was how she put it. She said the dosage is different b/c under 12, with a "child" chemistry, that dose works, but that once you hit puberty and start getting an "adult" chemistry, you need more of the med for it to work. I don't know how true that is, since I've never been able to find it anywhere else, but that's what she told me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I go by weight. For the medicines that don't have weight I go by the age that their weight is average for. Like my almost 9yo was 40lbs for the longest time. I have never given her the dosage for an 8-12 year old because she is the size of the average 4-5 year old (weightwise according to medicine we have with a weight chart). My 6yo gets the same amount. My son gets the 8-12 dosage even though he is 7 because he's big for his age (he's been getting that dose since he was about 6).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• hi her i would probably go by weight, i think i the child weights a lil more than normal as they say it i would go by weight.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 8:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My pediatrician say's to always go by weight. Our boys are only 1 yr apart in age but their weight is so different, our 6 yr old weighs 65 lbs and our 5 yr old weighs 45 lbs, if I went by age our 5 yr old would get too much...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I always go by weight.. My daughter is tiny. SHe's 6 but I go by the 4-5 year old dose due to the weights.
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2009