I tried to get my hubby's credit report online...

but, it said that if he is active duty military then it can't be ordered online. How else can I get it? And where can I get his credit score? I have a POA and we are wanting to buy a house soon so, I need to see what is on it so, I can pay off the bills from before we got together.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 8:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'd call the credit bureaus and do it that way. I imagine they don't allow it online to try to prevent identity theft. Active duty means he's deployed, right? (not in the military, sorry). I guess they do that since they figure someone who's deployed somewhere isn't going to be worried about his credit history or score, so by preventing it from being accessed online, that's one less way that their identity can be stolen. But if you call them, and explain what's going on, probably have to fax a copy of the POA, and you can probably get it done that way.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My dh is active duty and before he got home from deployment I requested his credit report from the 3 major credit agencies online and they didn't even ask for the POA. I had no problems at all. We were buying a house, too.
    Of course, when we went to the mortgage company for a pre-approval they used a totally different credit company...lol.
    Perhaps you can try that instead! Go to a mortgage company with your POA and ask for a pre-approval. They will tell you how much of a loan you qualify for, how much of a monthly payment you can afford (show them your dh's BAH - so bring his latest LES), and they should provide a copy of the credit report with his credit number.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009