HOW MANY OF YOU CHRISTIAN LADIES WATCH "PRAYERS FOR BOBBY" LAST NIGHT OR BEFORE???

THIS MOVIE WAS ON LAST NIGHT HOW MANY OF YOU WATCH AND WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS IF YOU DID?

Asked by older at 8:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I watched it again. And Moms if you don't have a gay or lesbian child you may not understand that type of concern that we as PFLAG parents have. I worry constantly, "does he know we love him and we want him to be happy" all kinds of worries. We need to stop teaching our children to fight nature. If they are gay then parents, get over it. Do you really want to be the Mom saying your child killed themselves? And then find out its because he was encouraged to pray to have strength to beat those urges. Bobby had no where to turn. Even in his own home he was told to fight these feelings. Our kids have to face a world of hate and ignorance. Please open your minds and hearts and make sure your homes are a safe place for all your children's hearts. Don't put yourselves on such a high pedestal that you can't see the hurt your standards cause your children. Come down off that pedestal.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have had this DVR'd for awhile now but haven't seen it yet. I want to but every time I sit down to watch it my kids come in or my husband doesn't want to see it or I am not ready for a movie that'll make me cry. I want to watch it soon though, I heard it is very good.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I watched the first half of it the FIRST time it was on a month or so ago. It really saddened my heart. Simply because I thought for a minute how I would feel if I were in his shoes. Whatever he was feeling and thinking about himself was NOT his fault. He does have a choice on whether or not to act on his feelings, but his thoughts were not sin. This story was never about his actions, but always about what he was feeling and how trapped and condemned he felt to be feeling things that he knew he wasnt "supposed" to be feeling. His mom and dad meant well, but they simply did not know how to deal or what to do and it caused more harm than good. I think if they had stopped trying to fix him and let him work it out on his own, he would have been better off. I think this was a good family but raised in a very legalistic atmostphere and had no clue about God or what his Word really says about us and how he feels about us.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• MOMOFSAEE, YOU MISSED A POINT OF THE MOVIE, HE DOESN'T HAVE A CHOICE, THE SON EVEN MENTIONED SEVERAL TIMES THAT SHE DIDN'T LIKE WHO HE WAS, AND SHE RESPONDED WHO YOU HAVE BECOME. BUT IN ACTUALLITY HE WAS WHO HE WAS AND HIS UPBRINGING LED TO HIS SUICIDE, THE FACT THAT SOME CHRISTIANS THINK THAT THEY SHOULDN'T ACT ON HIS TOUGHTS OR PREFERENCES IS LIKE ASKING THEM TO DENY THEMSELVES TO BE TRUE TO THEMSELVES FOR THE SAKE OF HOLINESS. IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

Answer by older at 11:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• THE MOTHER EVEN SAID THAT HER SON HAD TAKEN HIS LIFE AS A DIRECT RESULT OF HIS PARENTS IGNORANCE.

Answer by older at 11:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• PNWMOM, VERY WELL SAID! I AM SURE YOUR KIDS WILL ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE LOVED.

Answer by older at 12:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I haven't seen it but I think from your posts I'm getting the point. It sounds similar to the documentary, "Because the Bible Tells Me So". All I know is it broke my heart to watch these people struggle with these feelings of "wrong-doing" and all that. I could never put that on my child. It's a very natural way of being and I absolutely agree with you, pnwmom! People need to do some research and educate themselves on this. Sometimes the Bible is not always "accurate" or always as it seems.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 4:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009