Help! my 6 year old daughter has head lice and long hair, what can I do?

mackk

Asked by mackk at 8:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• I've heard mayo works wonders. I got them when I was younger and had long hair, and my mom always used the lice shampoo then went through it with one of the combs that comes with the kit several times. Always, wash all her bedding so they aren't staying in there and she get them back.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Been there, done that!! My daughter has SUPER long blonde hair. In the 2nd grade, she came home with head lice for the first time and it was bad. I worked by specifically trying to pick out every single nit and though that helps, I was never going to get done. I would think it was gone, then a week later, there it was again. I did this for EIGHT months. I never could get it out. So, I stopped doing what everyone told me to do and tried to think it through myself. I use neutrogena tgel medicated shampoo for myself and I wondered why after dealing with this for months, I didn't have lice. Well, it was because I use tgel and it stinks and its medicated. I began washing her hair in that. Then I would pick out as many as I saw, then I would later it up in conditioner. Then I would take the lice comb through her hair and shake it off on the sink. Everything I pulled out was already dead. I did this every other night. It worked.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• go to your pharmacy & get that stuff "rid" along with one of those rid combs. It's the best thing you can get, all the home remedies don't kill the lice as good as you would like. VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH! It says on the rid box to wash again in 1 or is it 2 weeks later. This will kill any eggs that might have hatched after the shampoo. If you comb through it good, you will get most of the eggs out. My daughter has always had CRAZY long hair, when she was 4 we went through the whole lice ordeal, her, my 2 step kids & I all had lice. uhhhh, it was a nightmare!. You also have to vacuum every day, & make sure you wash their sheets A LOT, just in case. It is LICE season, braiding your daughters hair will help keep them out. Rid worked best for me though.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• wow, lice for 8 monthes.....why didn't you just get the lice shampoo? If the school knew she had lice for 8 monthes, they would call CPS & call it child neglect.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I've used rid , olive oil & mayo (suffocates them) on my boy before these work. But I have to say this was short hair & I also cut it shorter. I suggest you get rid of bed pillows & I'm pretty sure that its the dryer heat after washing that also helps for sheets ++ the rid spray for the bed etc. Good Luck!
    musicplace

Answer by musicplace at 8:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• "samurai_chica wow, lice for 8 monthes.....why didn't you just get the lice shampoo? If the school knew she had lice for 8 monthes, they would call CPS & call it child neglect"

OMFG get off your damn soap box lady! Call your kids dr and tell them you need a prescription for lice shampoo-hope you have insurance b/c its like 200 bucks a bottle. But that works the first time. Good luck!

Damions_mom

Answer by Damions_mom at 9:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Go and get shampoo for lice then wash all her bedding don't forget that if you don't you will have the egss hatching there.use bleach..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• After you use the RID, the next day soak her hair in LISTERINE, use a spray bottle for easier application then put her hair in a shower cap and leave on for 2 hrs, it cools the scalp and it kills the eggs, rinse and due this twice a week for 2 weeks in the meantime wash all bedding and place hair bows, stuffed toys in a plastic bag for 2 weeks. You can google the listerine its very affective and SAFE, I have done it.
    misspixie67

Answer by misspixie67 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Also, if it is farther then an inch away from the scalp, it's either dandruf or they are already dead. My doc had to give me a note when I was younger so they would let me back in b/c the stupid health nurse kept saying I had lice, and the doc said it was just dandruf. So, be careful.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Why is it that when someone says or does something that doesnt FIT into another moms world, she automatically uses the CPS argument. Theres no way in hell anyone would ever take my kids from me. I did not KNOW she had it for 8 mos. I would think it was gone and then it would pop up again and again. We went through the PROCESS for 8 months. Please read what I said before you make stupid comments. I was trying to explain how hard it was to actually get rid of by using the conventional treatments which DO NOT WORK. I asked the doc for an rx and he simply stated that I needed to go get the lice treatment from walmart and do it once a week for 4 weeks. I had already done it and it did not work. He would not write me an rx. The frustration and tears were more than I could deal with. IMagine me sitting there everynight with a childs head in my lap and us both crying over this. Get off your mommy patrol!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009