Shooting someone on your property.. Got some Questions.!

Okay, so mine and my husbands car both got broken into yesterday.. Stole everything out of his, Cd player, Cd's and everything int he car... Out of mine, they stole ALL my change, car seat, toys.. Cd's.. So I'm getting a gun on Thursday of this week.. Because one step leads to another, and I want to be protected in case they come into the house.. But my Q was.. Can we shoot someone who's breaking into my car? I had heard they had to be in the house, but the car is my property as well, so I was just curious.. By the way.. This is the 3rd time in a year that our cars have been done that way.. I'm just really sick of it.. and we live in a nice neighborhood. so I don't understand!!!

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Really I have no clue. I think it varies from state to state. Maybe this is something you can write and ask about to your local council and congressman or congresswoman.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• lure them in your front door honey
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It varies from state to state. I know that in some states they have to be so many steps in your house before you can shoot them, and in others they just have to be on your doorstep threatening to break in. I would check with YOUR laws!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Really?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Look up Gun Laws in your state, you can google it. I would think that if it's self defense then maybe but if they are parked on a public street and are breaking in it the only thing you can do is call the police. GL, sorry about what happened...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You should probably take a gun class and know all of the laws before owning a gun. It varies from state to state and possibly taking someone's life is a very serious thing, I would not just post questions - I would get informed. You would not want to end up in jail for a mistake or worse yet, kill someone that did nothing to warrant it.

Please, please take talk to your local law enforcement officers, get the facts.

jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• you can only shoot them if you are in your car and they are attacking you. it has to be self defense. you can't shoot them just because you see them breaking into your car. if it was me(and i am not suggesting you do this) i would be in another car waiting for his sorry ass, call the cops, and if he leaves before they get there i would follow his ass with a baseball bat. beat the hell out of him. but that is just me. set a trap in your car for anyone willing to break into it. something you can rig up to control from your house that will get him stuck inthe car and the cops can come. be sneaky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Haha.. I like that, Anon 9:20.. That's a good idea! I'm getting a car alarm this weekend, but I SWEAR if I see anyone else on my property.. I'll have the gun ready just in case. And probably won't shoot to kill , just knock out the knee caps or feet, so they can't run! !
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree, check your laws. Sometimes they have to be in the house. Can you install a security light outside where you park and put alarm systems in your vehicles? If you're not proficient in firearm use, please take a safety class and practice. Know how to load & reload, positions that you feel comfortable shooting from and find a caliber that has recoil you can handle.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• lol...i agree with Jodi! But I believe it depends on where you live. Although, your council would know the answer, if they are anything like here, you would get your answer sometime in 2020....I would call your police station. They would know the laws also.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2009