skipping pre k ?

my daughter will be 5 in august. technically can start kindergarten in the fall. she is in preschool now for another month. because she is on the younger side, i had initially decided to put her in pre k before kindergarten. well, with money tight we have opted against it. but i still dont want her to go to kindergarten in the fall (am i confusing you???)
anyway, what do you think about her just staying home the year before kindergarten? she was already in preschool, it'll be like her taking a year off. she knows all her letters/numbers/name writing, etc...do you think she will be ok if i just keep her home for this coming year and send her to kindergarten when she is 6?

emilsmama

Asked by emilsmama at 9:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if she starts school next year she is going to be much older than the kids in her class. I know it's just a year but not to other kids. I thought my son was going to be too old starting kindergarten and he will be turning 5 the year he goes. I don't think you should wait. Unless you really can't send her but you should do home lessons at home with her everyday and at the same time. you should do it like school would. i would call and talk to the local school she would be going to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ***in response to first answer***
    her preschool tacher told me that if she starts kindergarten early (this year) she may end up being a follower because she will be the youngest...but if we start her later (next year) she will be a leader. sounded pretty sensible....im wondering if this is really true or if it really does make a difference how old they are when they start..
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 9:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you feel your child is not ready then don't, but if you are holding her back just because, I don't think it's a good idea. Has she been tested yet? Go by those results. You can always buy workbooks and help her if you do keep her home. I buy mine at Wal-Mart.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't think it makes much difference. My oldest is a younger in his class, my youngest is an older in his. I don't know that it really affects being leader/follower. My youngest should be a leader, following what you were told, but he's not really. Sometimes, yes, but not always. And my oldest is a bossy, everyone-should-be-like-me type. I think it really just boils down to personality. Personally, if she's old enough to start kindergarten, I'd go ahead and send her, as they get older (if not right away) that age difference may be noticable and bother them. But, you also have to do what you think is best. So, if you think it's best to keep her home, then do it, but I would, as the first person said, keep up the lessons at home, so she doesn't forget all she's learned already.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• no, she has not been tested. well, they did a little test at preschool before conferences and her teacher said that because she cannot yet draw a human form the way the public school says a human form should be drawn that they would not let her in. as an artist, i thought her drawing was great. she draws things with great detail and they are very realistic. but not they way the public school says it should look. so for that the teacher said she may not be ready.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 9:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If she can't get in school because she can't draw a human right I would find another school, lol. She is five. My son is seven and still draws stick people lol but does well with everything else.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Why would you want to hold her back? If she already has the skills you mentioned, she is more than ready for Kindergarten. Girls mature faster than boys and barring any serious behavioral issues, I would put her in kindergarten. She'll be just fine :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with it! Just check your state laws for the compulsory attendance age. I know in Illinois they don't even HAVE to go to school until the age of 7, crazy! Your daughter will be fine...whatever you choose.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my little girl will not be 4 till august so when she starts pre k in august she will still be 3 i would not think for a min. to send her to pre k and take a year off and do kindergarten the next year your child can go to kindergarten then if the teachers think its best she can just do kindergarten all over again.....in my state you don't even have to go to kindergarten its not the law you can start at first grade if your old enough
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Hmm I guess Im behind on the times but I always thought pre-k and preschool was the same thing!I think its fine to skip "pre-k" as it will not be too hard to get her to go to kindergarten because shes already had away time and structored activites with her preschool.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 11:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2009