Kinda Worried.. is this normal?

Hi, My son was a preemie (4weeks early) and when he was about 4mths old he got sick, and stayed sick for a month, he ended up in the hospital*I think due to Drs. negligence, because they let his Upper Respiratory Infection go with no treatmeant* He ended up with pneumonitus which is an inflammation of the lungs. He stayed two days then was better. About a month later, he got a little cold again, nothing major, just runny nose and watery eyes and a little cough. He was put on steroids and Nutrahist. That was a month ago. Now he is sick again. He is coughing so hard he's throwing up, runny nose like crazy, and he is rattling when he breathes. He has an appt. today with the dr. but Im worried about him getting sick so frequently. He is not in daycare, and neither is his older sister. I do keep my nephew, who is the one who made him sick the first time. My DH is sick this time... but I've never seen a baby be so sick so often cont

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it makes me worry something else more serious is wrong with him. Did any of your babies get sick often like this? He doesnt run any fevers and acts like normal, happy and playful. But he was like that the first time he got really sick as well. Hes just a trooper.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• hi i am not a doctor or anything but i have two children as well and i was wondering if the doctors ever said anything to you about him having rsv disease??? he has the symptoms...While RSV, or the respiratory syncytial virus, may just cause a cold in older children, it can cause a serious and life threatening infection in younger high risk children. These children, including premature babies, can develop bronchiolitis, which is associated with inflammation in the lungs, wheezing and difficulty breathing. RSV can also cause croup, ear infections, and pneumonia. RSV often just get simple cold symptoms, like a runny nose, cough, and fever. let me know
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• does anyone smoke around him?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• no one smokes around him at all. ever. and he has been tested for RSV so many times its crazy. so its not that.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sometimes babies are just prone to get sick. My dd has been on and off the nebulizer several times. Your baby may have bad allergies or asthma or may just have weak lungs. My dd was born at 37 weeks, but still had weak lungs, and a heart murmer in her lungs (which is common of premies). So I think it's related. germs creep up all over the place too. But if you are worried, get a second opinion or ask to see a lung specialist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well your babie is a premie and it's common for premies to get sick. I know it's hard and heartbreaking, but your babie's immune system is getting worked, and it will get stronger, and pretty soon he will be the healthiest kid in his class :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You know, I don't really have any personal experience with allergies, and your baby may be too young to be tested, but I have known quite a few kids who had similar issues with being sick with colds and respiratory issues, coughs and runny noses, and it was due to their allergies. It might be something to look into.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have a preemie, too (4 weeks on the nose). All three of my boys have always gotten colds...it seemed like they'd have one healthy week and then have a cold again. My youngest (the preemie) is now two and he has always had the worst time with colds. He has recently been diagnosed with asthma.

He DID have RSV and was in the PICU for a week with it when he was 5 weeks old (1 week adjusted). RSV "can" weaken the lungs and cause other problems later. It doesn't always though.

My middle son was full term. He also had RSV. He was about 13 months old at the time. He has always had the ear infections, always had bad colds and he is also diagnosed with asthma.

My oldest was also full term and had TONS of colds. He's the one who always had croup. Ugh. He's 5 now and just gets bad colds.

None of them get sick as often now. They've built up immunities. Average is 6-8 colds per year. Some have more, some have less.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was watching an episode of The Doctors on tv and there was a family who was constantly sick. It was something in the house. They tested the water and air. They also said if something is plugged in to close ( ex. alarm clock, lamps) the electricity can interfer  with your body making you sick. I know it's a far fetched idea, but just trying to help. :]

Anonymous