which one is worse.. .

just curious because i had a convo years ago with someone and it became a major debate.. .what would bother you more if at all or do both..catching your child watching a hot and steamy sex scene or shooting..fighting..or bloody gory movies?? some dont let your kids watch it period..but lets say they are over someone elses home..and you just walk into it..which would bother u more..i will post my personal debate as we go along.. .just wanna get some feedback first..thanks.. . hope u r all having a great mornin'.. .

ta2craze

Asked by ta2craze at 9:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• this is a good question! i think the sex scene would bother me more. the violence is easier to explain. it's something she's going to learn about before she learns about sex anyway. (movies, news, real life...) and its easy to tell her that its wrong to shoot and kill someone, because "we dont like to hurt people". whereas, she has NO CLUE what sex is and i frankly have no idea how to explain that to a 2 year old. i guess thats why we dont talk about that til later in their lives.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Gosh, that's really tough. I think I'd rather they saw sex than violence. People are so violent these days, and I think seeing it in movies and on TV would just make it seem even more normal. With sex, you can say that the people are married and in love, even if they're not. It's a lot harder to explain and make violence be ok. Geez, I think I'll just tell people to turn their TV off before we come in, now that you made me think about this. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i would rather see them watching a sex scene
    alicia541

Answer by alicia541 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son is and was allowed to watch the whole gory, horror movie from a early age. Because, he could be taught that it was fake and understand. The whole sex scene thing I waited on because it is something so natural and I didn't want him to think that sex is ok at any time anyplace with anybody, so, I waited until he was old enough to understand and differentiate between what is right and what is just movie stuff. Like the newest Friday the 13. Almost porno like in the beginning. He is 13 and I felt he is old enough to know that not all teens screw like rabbits. So, I used it as a learning experience. But, I believe the gory is easier to explain away than sex scenes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• to 'bradenismyson' - im with you!
    we exposed willow to scary/violent movies early on. not stuff that would upset her, but like you said, so she'll know its fake and fun. thats so easy to explain. and she looooves horror films now! :) she also knows its not real. so, shes not scared of monsters or the dark! and, she knows guns are only for pretend and that its bad to hurt people.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son was friends with a boy who's mom wouldn't let him watch because she had nightmares when she watched. I told her how I felt and how teaching him will keep him from having nightmares and all movies can be used as teaching tools. So, at 9 or 10 he got to see some for the first time and now he is a big horror fan like my son and she couldn't thank me enough for opening her eyes. She never wanted him to be like her but, didn't know how. My son gets to watch whatever now and he is a very well behaved non-violent kids. Most people call a little angel when he comes to their houses and want him to spend the night because he is so calm and good. It's all in how their taught. I firml;y believe in nurture vs nature. Let them see things and teach them. My son has been in houses with loaded guns right on the floor in the open and never wanted anything to do with it. Even at 2 he knew better. It won't make them violent to see that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ta2craze- what's your take?
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Violence
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ok..my kids are 24 and almost 23..we live together..and when we watch something with the sexy parts..i look away..cough..head for the kitchen..something..anything..that is how i was raised. i am open with my kids and all but my upbringing still makes me 'ashamed' of sexy stuff around people (which also contributed to my own sex life..but anyway..thats another post..ha.. .) so my 2 yr. old granddaughter waited for uncle to wake up so they could watch nightmare on elm st..which of course contains a little bit of everything..the person i debated with was someone who used to come to my house with her son..my kids were like 10 & 11..my son always loved scary flicks..her son was about 7 or 8 and would love to watch with my son..she was bothered by it and said she preferred if they watched something else..she said i rather my son watch porn..at least its what people really do !!!!!!! oh well... thanks for the feedback.. .
    ta2craze

Answer by ta2craze at 10:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Neither would bother me if my son watched them. I am open with my son and if he watches something like that, it is with me and we talk about it. He knows the difference between right and wrong. He is almost 13 and has seen all the American Pie movies (except Beta House) and many movies with violence, and he is a well respectful, polite child that isn't violent or a pervert. Open communication with your child is key.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2009