Grievance fares?

My husbands father is going to die this week they say. He has battled cancer until the very end, he made it just long enough to see his baby girls new son (her first). I was wondering if anyone had made a recent trip and used the bearevement fare and did it save you much or did you pay a lot. We are in Texas trying to get to Ft.lauderdale. We are broke as it is so I really want to go but dont know if I can. Sigh. Any help appreciated as far as advice.

MicMac

Asked by MicMac at 9:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Travel

• I am sorry to hear this. You can get a discounted fare but you have to show the death certificate and i'm not sure a photo copy will be enough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would have to say that when I have tried to fly twice for relatives dying I was unable to get any type of bereavment fairs. At the time I called every airline trying for anything and I was truly not able to find a thing. I know that it not the new that you are hoping to hear and hopefully that was just my experience. I am so sorry to hear about your father in law and I will hope that you are able to find tickets cheaper than we did.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I flew home for my grandmother's funeral last year when she passed away. I called the airline I wanted to fly on and asked bout a bereavment rate. All they asked me for was the date of her funeral, and the funeral home's name that we were making arrangements through. I saved over $400 on same day tickets for me and our kids to fly home. But since your father in law hasn't passed yet I don't know if you would qualify for the bereavment rate or not. I would say to contact the navy marine relief society, they can help with tickets sometimes depending upon the situation.
    itchyrash

Answer by itchyrash at 10:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've never found the bereavement fares to save me money. It's worth checking into, though. When my stepfather-in-law passed away in December, it was cheaper for us to just go online to the airline's website to buy the tickets. For my husband (who went before us), it was cheapest to buy one-way tickets.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009