Do you think men wouldn't be able to handle the pain of labor?

I was wondering how many women think the species would end if men were the ones having babies. I find it interesting when women say this and then in the next breath say the need an epidural. So apparently lot of women can't handle the pain of labor.

katrinad

Asked by katrinad at 9:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know if men could handle it or not. I think women underestimate themselves and that's why they choose and epidural. What if an epidural wasn't an option? I've had 3 kids naturally so I know it can be done!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My husband has said many times he would have an adult in his belly if men could become pregnant because he would never be able to handle giving birth. My husband did 6 years in the Marines, he has been shot also and still stands by his statement that men couldn't handle giving birth.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 9:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• There is a funny episode of Cosby repeat of them having baby. I only had c-sections, so couldn't answer.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was about to say...most women cant either - they soon are getting every pain med under the sun.

Its tough..and the worse part is pushing the head out...but the relief you get after is amazing...its just so satisfying and wonderful after all that work to hold your baby :)

I reckon some men could handle it but most couldnt...men can be pretty whiney.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My thoughts are along the same lines as yours: most women go in screaming for an epidural before they're even dilated a centimeter so who cares if men would require pain killers? Isn't the beauty of birth the fact that you overcome the pain and fight through it so that you bring another life to this planet in the best shape you can? If most women can't do it, I say we have nothing to raise over our men's heads, lol.

SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 10:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No. Men in our society are encouraged to endure and to use their adrenaline rush and mental focus as natural pain killers. It's a matter of personal pride to showcase endurace and ability.

I can tell you one thing, there definitley would be more black eyes and assaults on anyone who decided to stick their hands in places they aren't invited, and absolutely no scalpals near the genital area...EVER.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well, you know, I think if any man HAD TO give birth, they would suck it up and do it just like we do. I can honestly without a doubt in my mind say that labor is the WORST pain I have ever felt in my life, contractions are hell, but I still say a man could if he had to. They would say the same things we do, some could do it quietly, some would be screamers. Some would want medications, and some could handle it without. I am glad it's me and not him though, cause I sure do think penises are fun, and I think if men were meant to give birth, they would have something a little different to push a baby through...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My husband said we would never have had kids if he was the one who had to give birth. I had an epi with both my kids but the last one didn't work and i had to go natural and it wasn't that bad. I plan on trying to go natural with this next one but am not sure yet. Anyways i really don't think men could handle the pain of child birth, they are all big babies at heart :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No, because their bodies were not MADE to give birth.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If a man's body was made to give birth: sure they could.

Since it's not, well no. They would need a cesarean lol...

Many women can't handle the pain of labor, to be honest. Most opt for pain meds, then if those don't work, bitch about how *excruciating* it is. Whatever.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009