Did anybody else know Enfamil is discontinuing their lactose free formula?!

We have been having a horrible time trying to find the formula that the doctor recommended for our twins! We go to so many different grocery stores that it was getting ridiculous. One of my freinds suggested that they might be, so I called Saturday and sure enough they are discontinuing their LactoFree formula! Isn't that nice?!
Anybody else have to change because of this and what formula did you use? How did your baby tolerate it?
To address the people who will bash me for not breastfeeding, I know that I would not have this problem if I was. I would rather I had, but unfortunately, our bills wouldn't get paid if I didn't work, so I'm doing the best I can for my babies and this is how it is!
Thanks for any actual help you can provide!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 9:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I BF 99% of the time but, if my daughter does get formula she gets Similac Sensitive. My older kids used lactofree so i saw no point in even attempting the regular formula. She hasn't shown any problems w/ it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try a different brand that is lactose free, even the store brands from Target and Wal-Mart. They are the same thing and a lot cheaper.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'd heard that, but didn't know it was confirmed until now. I'm looking at formulas to supplement with my twins once they're here. I'm gonna BF and FF so I'm trying to watch iron content too.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Actually, pumping would be best for them. You can work and breastfeed. I know working moms who have exclusively nursed twins. There are plenty of kind women who'd be happy to give you their milk too. You can look at the Share Milk group here or on yahoo =) It's much better than ANY formula. Also, maybe wic or your insurance can get you a free pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yeah anon 11:25 I exclusively nursed and pumped for my son and that was hard for me but I did it. But I'm not sure I could do the same for twins, that sounds really hard. OP, have you tried soy formula? I know its pricey but a lot of moms use it and have no problem.
    HUmama

Answer by HUmama at 11:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Not bashing at all but im going to agree with anon....with the proper support you CAN do it! (even if it was part your BM and part formula) and it would be the absolute best food to give your baby, no trial and error with finding the right formula that didnt tear up their sensitive little systems. Even if you have stopped lactating, you can re lactate! Check out www.kellymom.com for LOTS of info and help if your interested in it! Good Luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Did they give a reason as to why? My daughter had a milk allergy but luckily I was still able to nurse her as long as I eliminated milk from my diet (not fun at all!)

Our pediatrician suggested Similac's Alimentum.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ulgh, pumping is NO fun at all, especially if you have to do it full time. There's no reason one should judge a mother for choosing formula over bm in this case. Plus a lot of times your supply can't keep up with pumping for your child's needs. Not to mention it's super stressful, and having a baby is already stressful-not to mention twins, and we all know an overly stressed mother is not a good idea.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Apparently, the demand was not there to keep manufacturing it. Thanks for all the insight. If we could afford for me to stay home and nurse I would!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• all you who say she can do it did you ever think that maybe she has a high demand job and wouldnt be able to take the time to pump. besides its a personal decision weather or not to breast feed. i dont think anyone should get bashed for that. i breast fed my son for a month then my milk dried up and had to switch him to formula. yet no one sees a problem with that. to all those who think that you should only exclusively breast feed maybe you shouldnt answer questions about formula feeding. since you think its so wrong. and twins makes it harder to breast feed in the first place. so go bash somewhere else.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009