how to potty train my 18 moths daughter?she cries when I tell her to sit on it Iam tired..please tell me step by step informationabou it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• then she is probably not ready yet. You can not force a child to be potty trained
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sounds like she isn't ready. Wait for the signs like taking off the diaper, bringing you a diaper to change her, telling you that she has gone poo pr pee and staying dry through the night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree you can't force it, but I never found making kids sit on the potty to be an effective method. At that young age, if you really want to give it a go, then I would look into the 3-day method. The gist of it is that you put them in underwear and move them to the potty whenever they start to have an accident... so there's no forcing them to sit and wait for something to come out. My daughter did great at 19 months doing it this way. Take a look at the Potty Training Moms group on CM, and there's a permanent post on the 3-day method. That's where I got my info. It takes some work upfront, and 18 months is pretty, early, but if you think she's ready I would look into this...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• dont force her to sit on the potty.... she may not b ready for it.... let her tell u and let her "play" around with it for awhile... my daughter will b 2 in july and i feel that she is ready (telling me she has to go potty, taking off her diaper, ect), but i am trying to let her be the one that takes the first steps towards it so that it isnt so much of a challenge when we do start the process...
    kate1227

Answer by kate1227 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• She might not be ready. You can't force these things, BUT.... We did the M $ M jar. They got one candy for #1 and 2 candies for #2. By the time the jar was empty, we had potty trained boys. Eveyone who just cringed at the thought of food as a reward, well, Pavlov proved food was an acceptable paired reward with a stimuls with his salivating dog and his scratching chicken!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You don't want her to be afraid of the potty. Do you have a potty chair or use the bit toilet? There are several very good training books. One has the sound of the toilet flushing to help them get used to it. Others jsut show babies sitting on different potties. Try to find one that is similiar to the potty you are using. At this age, she may be a little young. I bought the potty at around a year and left it out in the living room so she could play with it and get used to sitting on it to watch tv. Now she's almost two and is ready to start potty training. Take dd to potty with you. Encourage her to sit on her potty while you go, but don't force it. Let her see you doing it so she knows its normal and nothing to be afraid of. Most of all, just give it time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Give her and yourself a break, wait a couple months (or longer) and then give it a try again.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I waited until my daughter was willing to happily sit on the potty. Trying to force a crying child to sit on the potty and relax enough to actually go won't work. Back off and follow her lead.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You're setting yourself up for a battle that isn't worth fighting right now! The more you try to force her to sit on the potty, the more she is going to resist and the harder it is going to be for you to get her trained.

Wait until she is ready. She's only 18 months and while some do train at that age, it is a little early.

Give it some time. Right now, by forcing her to it and making her so upset, you're going to create a situation where she is going to HATE the potty and fight it longer and harder. It's not worth it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• did you give her time to get use to it? let her play with it for a week or two. try that. put it in the living room instead of the bathroom to start of with. so shes more comforable with it. once she will sit on it take it back to the bathroom and get her to sit on it there. every time she sits on it give her a special treat or toy that she only gets when she does. then start puttin her on it without her pants on. and give her the treat/toy. always make sure to give lots of praise and make it a big deal. always put her on first thing in the moring. when she does go pee in it make an extra big deal. maybe even do a special pee pee dance or something. everntually she'll get it.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009