What do you consider a reasonable amount to spend at a salon/barber shop for a haircut?

I ask this only because a good friend of mine commented that I should go to her salon because it was nationally recognized as one of the best in the US. This only came because I went and had my hair highlighted at the salon I go to only because my dh bought me a 5 dollar scratch off ticket and I won 100 dollars and he told me to spend it on myself. I only pay 45 dollars every 8 to 10 weeks to get my hair cut and sometimes I wait longer. I then asked her how much a hair cut costs....she said Oh it was ONLY 300 dollars for my dd and I for our hair cuts. I looked at her and said that is what 10 days worth of food costs me for my family. Just to much for me to justify spending on a hair cut. How much do you ladies spend on a hair cut for yourselves. I am just curious.

my4kids274

Asked by my4kids274 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i say around $40. when i get a haircut it costs me about $30-40.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We have 3 boys, they all like to have really short hair, thankfully, anyway I bought a good clipper and scissors and do it myself.. I can't see paying for a haircut when I can do it myself. The clipper cost me 30.00 and it has pd for itself over and over.I have had friends ask me to cut their kids hair and theres... I trim my own hair, it's pretty long and Hubby shaves his head, so we don't have any hair expense... I think I can find better things to spend our money on... Like FUN, bills, food, etc...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Hair cuts for me plus somesort of help styling (straightening with straightener or curling into waves +hairspray lol) is roughly 16-17 dollars. Hair dying gets a little complicated but that can run anywhere from 20-100s depending on how many colors/weaves etc......
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My hair cuts cost $9. With the tip it costs me $12. I get my hair cut once every 2 months. I can't afford more than that, and even if I could, I don't think I would spend the $! I love my hairdresser, I keep my hair short and she does a great job!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 10:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't get myhair cut often but when I do it's about 20 bucks including tip. I have 3 boys so their dad uses the clippers on them. 300 is alot to spend on haircuts!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I used to spend $75 dollars once a month to get my hair done, then I became a SAHM and that went out the window. I am so lucky, I found the best stylist at a Super Cuts of all places! My haircuts cost about $14 and I always tip her $10 just because she's really the best stylist I've ever had. It's still way cheaper than before.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My haircuts cost me around $20 every 6-8 weeks. I pay $15 for both of my boys haircuts every 6 weeks. $300 is absolutely ridiculous! Never would I pay that. If she trying to convince you to go to her salon...what's the big deal if she did it at home for you for cheaper? Way cheaper. Also, It doesn't matter whether a salon is "nationally recognized", what matters is who's cutting your hair!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I spend around $70 but I don't go that often and she's the only one I have EVER liked so I pay it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My sons is $5 and mine is $20. He gets a spritz to wet the hair and a style and I get a full shampoo, dry and style. We won't go anywhere else even though we moved out of town. We love her! We don't go on a really regular basis because it is a ways away. But she knows what we like and treats my kids well so we give her a big tip too. Some other places we have been to aren't very good with kids and they get in a hurry and don't do a good job.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Unless those haircuts come with chocolate truffles, foot massages and tax help, that's totally outrageous. Then again, I let my seven-year-old son cut my hair. He does a great job and he does it for a Hershey bar.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2009