Does an aborted / miscarried child have a soul ?

When I first miscarried I was brought to a Catholic hospital. A nun came to calm me because I was hysterical with grief. I was raised in a Catholic school and my husband knew it would help me.

She was an older nun and told me to quiet down so she could tell me the truth. I listened to her intently as she told me that my baby was safe in heaven. The body was a vessel and still a shell. She told me that my babies soul was safe in heaven and would not enter the body until God gave her the first breath of life. She told us to try again and when my baby is ready she will come down.

Do you believe that this is true? This is not an abortion debate please. This is simply a question about when does the babies soul enter the body?

MawagaMom

Asked by MawagaMom at 10:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that a created being becomes a living soul when breath enters the air passages. Adam was a living, physical being when he was created by God....but it was when God breathed into Adam's nostrils that Adam became a "living soul". I also believe that unborn children are living, physical beings that become "living souls" when they receive their first breath.

Genesis 2:7 says: "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
    PeaceLovinKat

Answer by PeaceLovinKat at 8:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes i believe it does, but i also believe in reincarnation. So i believe that the miscarriage was a way of burning karma. So hopefully that soul will have a more pleasant life the next time around since a load of karma was lifted through the miscarriage.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my BF is Buddhist and he believes that a soul enters the babies body around the 6th month of pregnancy..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• wow, anon 10:27, I've never heard of that & I'm well read in eastern philosophies. How interesting! I wonder why they believe this....kinda neat.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I am so sorry for your loss, I have gone through that 3 times....then 7 years of IVF, we have a beautiful daughter who is now 4.
    This is a debate that will never be answered. My belief, Yes your child is back with the Father and that the soul doesn't enter until first breath. But I am a Right To Life believer!
    God's Blessing to you and yours,

Marianne
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I believe your nun was right on! I don't believe a soul will enter a body that is about to be aborted or miscarried. There is nothing to learn from that. So yes, your baby's soul is safe and sound on The Other Side.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Jenettyshome:

The nun did not believe that the soul entered the body before the baby miscarried. She believed the baby is without a soul and that the body is merely a shell. The soul is in heaven and doesn't come down until birth.
    MawagaMom

Answer by MawagaMom at 10:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I am sorry for your loss and pain and am not sure when it happens but Psalm 139 reflects that God knows the baby in the unformed stage vs 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

eminelson

Answer by eminelson at 10:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I believe that life begins at a heartbeat. I also believe that we gain our soul at the moment of life. Therefore, since most aborted babies already have a heartbeat, I would have to say yes, I believe they have souls.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2009