Would you feel bad if you tipped $75 on a dinner bill that was $450

My dad took the whole family (about 15 people) out to dinner at a nice place, and felt like he was under tipping.

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 18% would be $81.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Usually with a party that large, the tip is automatically included in the bill or some form of gratuity.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• How long were you there? If you all were there for over three hours, he undertipped, but if it was less than two hours, he didn't.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I suppose it depends on the service and the average for your area. I used to be a waitress and always thought 15% was a very good tip but 20% was the best... so he's kind of in the ballpark but a little off. You could have offered to leave a little extra or waited until he left the table and tossed another $10 down if it really bothered you that much!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm going to be honest. I was a waitress while in college and the "normal" tip in 2009 is 20%. First with a party that large most restaurants automatically include a 20% tip on to the bill, plus whatever extra the party wants to leave. Your father in my opinion should have left at least $90, because the server has to do ALOT of work for a party that big. I've gotten $75 tips on checks only for $75 or more. I wouldn't be satisfied with $75 on a $450 check.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I always tip 20%. I bet the tip was already included & you didn't notice. I have NEVER had a bill that high w/ out the tip included.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm suprised a gratuity wasn't included with a party of that size.

I agree- the tip should have been 20%. If you felt he was undertipping, you could have added to it. When family takes us out to dinner, we always contribute to the tip.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My husband and I always tip 20% or more. But I too, like the other posters, think that the gratuity was probably included.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• He felt he was under tipping not me. He didn't bring enough cash.
    I couldn't help him out, I don't have an income. I thought it was ridiculous that he feel bad, I thought cheap people tipped ten percent, and 15 was doing good. I guess not...
    The waiter was awesome though. Usually when we go to this place on holidays, they are stressed out, and borderline rude, and act like everything is an inconvenience. This is the best experience we've had with them which says a lot for this guy considering the amount of people we had. He did apologize to the waiter.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• With parties over 8, 18percent is usually added into the check. Which is BOGUS and makes me not want to leave a tip AT ALL : /

I would have been happy with 75 dollars. It could have been a lot worse. I waited tables, and these people had a 100 dollar tab (this was not a fancy resturaunt so 100 bucks meant a lot of running around) and left 1 dollar. So I would have been happy with 15 percent!

He should not have felt bad at all! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2009