Potty Training Outside of the House...

My DD will be 3 in September and I pretty much have her potty trained at home but I'm not sure how to continue it outside of the home, like when we go to the store or the park. At home she sometimes goes last minute and I'm afraid she'll do that when we are out and end up not making it to the bathroom. I don't know what to do..Help please...

FL_Mommy_2

Asked by FL_Mommy_2 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We always have our daughter try to go right before leaving the house, and when we first started leaving the house we would also have her go as soon as we got where we were going as well (this works for the store, not for the park unless there's a toilet there) and again if we were still out an hour later. She did great. We used a potty ring on our toilet at home so we'd just tote that around with us so she'd be comfortable on any potty. Little by little you can let her take more of the initiative, reminding her she can tell you if she needs to go... My daughter didn't have an accident in public till a long time after she was trained because we were pretty vigilant about making her try to go... But now she tells us even if she's at the park with no restroom in sight. We bring the little portable potty in the trunk now when we go to the park in case of emergencies...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You can take her immediately to the bathroom at the store or park or whatever when you get there, and ask her frequently if she has to go.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• you can get a potty to take with you when you go to the park. my aunt gave me an inflata potty for my baby shower. you just have to blow it up before and leave it in the car, you put a plasic bag in it and then when they need to go you have it ready. at the store i'de make sure you have pullups. you really can avoid all accidents when your out, just make sure to keep asking if she needs to go.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I've gotta recommend against pull-ups... they can slow down your progress. If she's doing fine at home, just take her to the potty at the store. Kids see pull-ups like diapers (most kids anyway) and so they treat them like diapers. Pull-ups can be confusing -- sometimes it's ok to pee in my pants, other times not.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ask her when she's ready. My guy was potty trained at home for a while before and wearing pull-ups when out because he didn't want to use the toilet yet. One day at the mall I was changing the pull up and he announced that he wanted to use the toilet and that was that.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009