I guess its true but i hate this saying.

My grandma uses the saying a lot "you can't get blood from a turnip". When ever i have to ask her for money for bills or something. We have had some hard times lately and have gotten behind on some bills and can't get caught up fast enough. And when ever i ask her is she can loan us some money for a while if she doesn't have it she tells me that and that the creditors will have to wait or come get the stuff. She says you can't get blood from a turnip and they can't get money that you don't have. I guess it is true, but i hate being behind because whenever you talk to a creditor, they are so rude. They don't like to make arrangemaents that actually help you. They like to demand a certain amount by a certain day and then set up the next months payment while on the phone. I don' t know if i will have the money on that day. Plus they charge 9.95 for doing the payment over the phone each time. anyone else have problems like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• They push you and push you to pay something over the phone and set up a payment plan because then they get paid for it. If you tell them no and hang up, they dont get their commission. If i'm late on a payment and they call, I never give it to them because of how rude they are...I call back and just do it through the automated payment thing...or online. I hate bill collectors.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I used to. But I learned to ignore the creditors, and payed off my bills at my own pace. Yes, they will keep calling, and more often than not I just didn't answer the phone.
    But when I DID answer the phone, I simply told them "I am a college student with a newborn. There isn't a lot of money to pass around, and when it comes between buying groceries or paying you off, I am going to buy groceries. I will send you money as I get it - there isn't much else I can do."
    Generally they apologized, said they understood, and let me get off of the phone. If not, i hung up on them. They got their money eventually.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well, I've owed amex $6,000 for 3 years now. 4 more years to go & I can dispute it! I'm waiting patient. They threaten me all the time, & well I just don't have the money. I got screwed when i divorced my ex. My card was automatically paid for through his account, then when i left he took my name off his account & claimed all the money i used to pay my amex as "fraudulent". Well, i got screwed & couldn't fix the problem, as it was too late when i found out. So, I was advised to ignor them & dispute it in 7 years. Best advice an accountant ever gave me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They have a job to do just like the rest of us. While their rude behavior is not excused because of this, you have to look at the type of people they typically deal with. Lately, with the economy the way it is, there are more "regular" people on their lists but for the most part, they deal with some real scum. So remember, try to be as friendly with them as you can and if they get rude with you, tell them you want to speak to a supervisor immediately. They tend to be more understanding. If you can't make the "minimum payments" they are setting, tell them. Write down a budget and figure out how much you make each month and how much you can give to these bill collectors. Even if it's only $5 per month, it shows you are aware of your debt and you are working on it. Not paying at all is not a good option. Even a dollar is better than nothing. Maybe you can get a part-time job on the side to help make extra money.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Also, be very careful in paying things over the phone. We got a call last week from a cell phone company we had never heard of, telling us we owed money on a bill from 8 years ago. We politely requested that they send us the information in writing & they hung up on us! Scammers are out there & they are preying on people who are having financial trouble. Make sure you are dealing with people to whom you legitimately owe money. If we had believed the threats made to us, we would have lost over $500 to a scammer.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Your grandmother is so right on so many levels. #1 you can't get blood from a turnip #2 if you don't have the money to give them, you just can't do anything about it right then. To give you credit, you DO want to take care of your obligations, but when times get tough you have to look at what your priorities are. Your first obligation is to your family so your priorities are shelter, food and transportation in that order. A phone bill, cable bill, or credit card bill will have to wait if it interferes with your shelter, food and transportation. List all of your bills...then write next to them their number in the line of priority. When you get paid, you pay your bills in order of priority first. If you get down to #6 and you run out of money, that's all you can do. If your cable gets turned off or your furniture repossessed(examples) , oh well. Read Dave Ramsey's book The Total Money Makeover (get it at the library).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ask them to set you up with a financial hardship payment plan or ask if they can defer the payments for 3 or 6 months. With the hardship plan, they will generally set it up between 3-12 months (ask!) and cease all interest accrual. With the deferrment plan, the interest usually keeps accruing.
    By calling them and showing them that you are willing to work with them and pay your bill, they are less likely to come down hard on you. Also, if you set up a new payment plan, the calls and letters will stop.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009