At what age should a child be able to dress themselves and put there shoes on the right foot

My DD is 4 years old I will give her clothes to her I started just dressing her so I didn't have to redress her lol. Everytime she dresses herself the magoraty of the time she has her shirt on backwards or her pants on backwards she even puts her underpants on backwards or even upside down lol (where she has the leg hole around her waist) how she gets them that way I have no idea. She put her shoes on the wrong feet all the time and even put her coat on upside down. Shouldn't she know how to put at least something on right by now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• MY 5 & 8 yr olds will occasionally put their shoes on the wrong feet, or a shirt on inside out or backwards. A lot of the time they just aren't paying attention or are hurrying b/c they want time to play. Just correct her when she does it. "Honey, your shirt is inside out. Please take it off and fix it." "Your shoes are on the wrong feet. Can you switch them before we go outside?" Part of learning is correcting their own mistakes. If you correct it, she may not learn. If you have her do it, then she'll start to learn and remember to look for the tag in the back of her shirt, or the curve on the inside of the shoe that indicates it's for which foot.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My 3 year old has been dressing himself for about 4 months now. He still needs help with his snaps, buttons, etc, and maybe once a day will put his shoes on the wrong feet.

Just tell her what is wrong and how to correct it, but have her do it for the most part.

But you're right...by now she should be doing more by herself. If I remember right from my son's OT evaluation last year, at 2 1/2 they expected him to be able to do at least 1-2 articles of clothing by himself with minimal help.

Start earlier so you're not tempted to step in to hurry her up. Practice makes perfect. She'll get it soon!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my dd turned 3 in March and has been dressing herself since about 2 yrs old..still needs help with buttons and shoelaces
    yannaboozmommi

Answer by yannaboozmommi at 1:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i have a niece who is 6 who sometimes still get it wrong. try reminding there that the tags go in the back before you let her dress herself. try helping her to dress herself, instead of eather dressing her or letting her do it all by her self. as for the shoes i still sometimes put mine on the wrong feet. lol, if im not paying attention. try to get shoes that have different stuff on the outside than the inside. like a picture on the outside and plain inside. it helps them get them on the right feet. try not to buy tagless just yet. it will help her to know how things go on.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My guy is 3.5 and he can do most of it by himself now. Sometimes he has difficulty putting a shirt on if it has a tighter neck. Still working on fasteners; he can do the big buttons on his PJs by himself but not smaller shirt buttons or the snaps on his jeans yet. He can do velcro shoes and his boots (rain, snow, and cowboy) all by himself but we're still working on shoelaces.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and she started doing that, Everynow and then I catch her panties being backwards or even sideways but she has had a problem with her shoes that she is now just getting over, She actually told me she likes them that way!
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 2:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my 5 yr old always puts his shoes on the wrong feet and my almost 4 yr old still needs help with his shirts lol so dont worry its fine- shell be getting it right soon enough
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my 3 year old dresses herself, I might have to help her with her panties once in a while and remind her that her shoes are on the wrong feet. Im just glad she is trying
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009