Should we really legalize??

Now listen, I'm all for marijuana. Really.

But the more I think about the legalization, regulation and taxing of it by the government, the more I think that it isn't such a great idea.

Look at what happened to tobacco - cigarettes. Don't you think the same would happen to marijuana? I don't want companies or government adding formaldehyde, arsenic, ammonia, acetone, benzene, or anything else to my pot...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Once it s legal then you should be able to grow your own, right?
    JustAnotherMama

Answer by JustAnotherMama at 11:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Instead of wasting billions of our tax money fighting the war on drugs, we could be MAKING billions of dollars by legalizing it and taxing it. Im all for the legalization of it, and I dont even smoke anymore! Hemp can be used for so much too, including fuel, clothes, plastics, papers, and its a cheap and reliable resource. Yeah the government might add those things to it, but im sure there would be people still growing their own so they dont have that stuff with all those chemicals.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No you will need a growing license, justanothermama. Atleast thats how it is in CA.
    BEXi

• When you are buying off the streets, you don't know what the dealer is adding. The grower is probably using fertilizer and insecticide up the wazoo to increase his crops and profits. I know my friends who smoke aren't asking "Is this pot 100% organic?" LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Absolutely. There would def be a market for organic no additives mj. Some one or company would find a way to make money off of that market. People who know mj will know if crap is added.

I doubt the govt would be growing and distributing it would be private corporations.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When you are buying off the streets, you don't know what the dealer is adding

When it comes to mj I've never met a dealer who added anything w/o telling you and charging more. It's just not good business. Anyone with some experience with ,mj can tell if there are chemicals added. It'll smell or look funny. You can't cut it like coke.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Instead of wasting billions of our tax money fighting the war on drugs, we could be MAKING billions of dollars by legalizing it and taxing it. Im all for the legalization of it.
    _____
    I'm all for that
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Anybody who wanted to could still grow a plant or three of their own after it's legalized. If you wanted to bother, it is perfectly legal to grow a few tobacco plants! I think it should be legalised and sold, with restrictions, like tobacco. Free up the cops to catch real criminals instead of having to mess with pot smokers who aren't hurting anybody. Relieve the clogged and over-crowded court system and jails stuffed with pot offenders, by the "war on (some) drugs". Save money and make enough to pay off the Federal deficit on the tax profits!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• "When you are buying off the streets, you don't know what the dealer is adding. The grower is probably using fertilizer and insecticide up the wazoo to increase his crops and profits. I know my friends who smoke aren't asking "Is this pot 100% organic?" LOL"

Dealers dont add stuff to their pot without telling you or charging more, unless they purposely want to eff you up. As for the fertilizer and insecticides, that stuff can actually be harmful for the crop. Experienced pot growers know how to grow without using anything such as that. A lot of crops are grown indoors as well.
    Anonymous

• I think this is a smart thing. It is silly to have so many people in jail or prison for possession of this. However, there is a lot of money lining individual pockets as long as it is illegal.

It is a little surprising how many of you know so much about drugs.....

It is nice to see a snip of conservative in people. IMO having it illegal is a violation of constitutional rights. Heaven knows we have lost enough of those already, and I am not talking about just recently!

I would vote to legalize.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009