Which would you rather live in, a mobile home or rent a house?

We have been living in a trailor for 8+ years. It is old, and we have to fix something it seems like every month or so (for instance plumbing, leaking problems, etc.). We want to buy our first house, but our credit sucks. We do have a buyer interested in our trailor right now. We won't be able to buy our own house for at least another year, so I thought it would be good to sell the trailor and then rent a place for a year. Maybe even finding a rent to own home. But hubby says that we'd be throwing away our money. My response is we are already throwing away our money since you can never gain any equity, we lose money every year. Plus if we wait to sell the trailor, we may not have any luck down the road. What happens if we find a house we like and can't sell this one? We'd be stuck with two payments. Plus, we are in the midwest and tornadoes are very likely. I am so afraid of that. What would you do? Rent or stay

Aingls

Asked by Aingls at 11:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• rent a house. i lived in mobile homes and it sucks. no insulation its like living in a tin can i feel for you is this the first home you will be buying. they have a tax credit for new home buyers look into it good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you could rent a house for not much more than you are paying now I would sell the trailer while you have the chance.you may even be able to rent an apartment. It would be fun to have a pool for the summer. If it will only be a little more you might as well sell while you can.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would rent a house. Yes, technically you are losing money. But at the same time if anything goes wrong, you don't have to fix it.

That is what we are doing...we moved into a house, and refuse to move again until we find a house to buy.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i would sell if you have the chance and rent till you find something. good luck. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Rent and good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• In your case, I'd rent a house. If I owned a mobile home and it was in good shape, I wouldn't mind living in it. Many mobile homes are just as nice as a house. But from what it sounds like, you're throwing money at it nonstop and there's no telling what else might go wrong to bring the value of it down over the course of a year. Renting is not throwing your money away... you are paying for a roof over your head and (in most cases) someone to deal with the problems you are now facing with your mobile home.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i grew up in a mobile home that was falling apart. when we moved into a house, it thought it was a mansion! lol seriously though, i would be concerned about tornadoe as well. you've made valid points as to why renting a home is the better choice.
    Anonymous

• I would rent. I just feel safer in a house over a mobile home if it is a decently built house,esp. when it comes to tornado and high winds.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2010