When can you give babies water?

Its getting REALLY hot at my house...It got 12 degrees hotter yesterday and my baby was fussy and I'm sure its because of the heat. My baby is 10 weeks old and I was wondering when I can start giving her water. If I can give her water how much? And how often?

kellycali

Asked by kellycali at 11:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She gets enough water from formula/breastmilk. You should definitely not give a baby, especially that young, water. They do not need it. If she was fussy from the heat, try lighter clothing or a fan.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Wait until 6 months and then VERY limited until 12 months. It throws off their electrolytes to drink straight water. Just feed baby on demand and try keeping cool other ways.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. But when I took my 2 month old baby to the ped It was recommended to give some water to the baby. I did not know I also thought that breast milk was enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i agree with the first person, shes to young for water. i started giving my son water when they said i could give him baby juice, at about 4 months. but never more than 3 or 4 oz a day when they are at that age. if she is uncomforable try lighter clothes a fan or a cooler bath, not cold though. hope it helps.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try a light mist and a fan, lighter clothes.... or something along those lines... Try to keep her cool, Turn down the AC a couple degrees, keep her in the shade....etc. i always sprinkled water on my sons forehead when he got too hot, keeps the skin cool.
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 11:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No water for babies at all until they are eating solids and then only sparingly until most of their diet consists of solid food.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You can offer water when your baby starts eating solids.

From kellymom.com:
    * Too much water can interfere with breastfeeding because it fills baby up so that he nurses less. Babies need the nutrition and calories in breastmilk to grow.
    * Breastmilk has all the water your baby needs, even in very hot weather.
    * When your 4-6 month old baby is learning to use a cup, giving him a few sips of water a couple of times a day (no more than 2 ounces per 24 hours) is fine and fun.
    * Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water with his solids - some babies need this to prevent constipation.
    Formula fed babies do not routinely need extra water. Some sources do suggest offering water to a formula fed baby when it is very hot outside (though baby may prefer to get extra water from more frequent feeding), or when baby is sick with a fever (consult babys doctor for guidelines).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering the same thing, but couldn't remember from my first. So, I haven't offered them water! I'm glad too!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My Ped just told us at his 8 month check up that he should be drinking 10oz of water a day.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• in my child birth class they told us that water is always good for a baby no matter what age... they said no more than 8 oz a day tho. they need it too
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 2:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009