Do you believe that the soul exists before life?

Regardless of when the soul actually enters the body...do you believe that the soul already exists before life? Do you believe the soul is made at the same time it gets a body?

(This is just something stemming from the aborted/micarried baby question)

hannahwill

Asked by hannahwill at 11:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the soul is immortal on both ends of this lifetime, or it's not immortal. So yes, in my belief it exists before birth. I believe this would happen at conception.

I think we as humans tend to be extremely wrapped up in our own egoic sense of our Selves... it's wholly possible that our conception of a personal, unique soul is really our own desperate attempt to wrap our minds around the end of our Ego, our mind-made self... we envision that somehow, the "I" that we know ourself to be, lives on. The "breath" that is our animating force, our spirit, is the spirit of the Divine within us, and it is immortal as the Divine is immortal. We are all connected by this same inner Being. So it did exist before this life; but our Ego, our Personality, our Identity with *this life* did not... and that dies with us.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes, I think the soul already exists. I don't believe it enters the body until just before birth, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I believe the soul exists before life BTW
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes our souls exist before we are given a body.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think the soul is in heaven until God sends it to a family. I think the soul enters the body during conception... when the sperm hits the egg and the baby is alive.... Some people think the soul isn't there till' birth, but do you actually believe the baby that's got a personality and a sleep pattern and is kicking the crap outta you....do you actually believe it DOESN'T have a soul??
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have found that the soul exists on the Other Side. They have already chosen their parent/parents. During most of the pregnancy, the soul is being prepared to enter the mechanism of the body being built. If the body is flawed and a miscarriage occurs, the souls continues to wait. Otherwise, it seems to enter the mechanically functioning body about 1-2 mos. before birth. The cluster of cells that make up the body are just that--cells, not a person. But that is what my experience has been. I have had a connection with my four grandchildren before their birth and the child of a friend. My fifth grandchild's body (my daughter's second pregnancy) died early in the womb and I never felt a spirit or soul within it. That's my view.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Exactly as Witchqueen just said. I believe our soul is who we really are. We have always existed and will continue to exist after this physical body stops working. I think many moms just sense when their baby is more than just some collection of cells. We just FEEL it when that developing baby actually becomes a "person". When it comes to abortion, for example, while I could never have one I don't see the point in being hard on someone who does. The soul knows before hand if the baby is going to be aborted. We are VERY intelligent on The Other Side. There would be no point on entering a body that is not going to survive.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No, you are the soul, the whole being. I do not believe in the "immortal soul" idea because when we go back to the Hebrew Scriptures that's not the idea that was taught,

Many Reference Book confirm this The New Catholic Encyclopedia says: “Nepes [ne′phesh] is a term of far greater extension than our ‘soul,’ signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2). The soul in the O[ld] T[estament] means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being. Similarly, in the N[ew] T[estament] it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37).”—1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The Roman Catholic translation, The New American Bible, in its “Glossary of Biblical Theology Terms” (pp. 27, 28), says: “In the New Testament, to ‘save one’s soul’ (Mk 8:35) does not mean to save some ‘spiritual’ part of man, as opposed to his ‘body’ (in the Platonic sense) but the whole person with emphasis on the fact that the person is living, desiring, loving and willing, etc., in addition to being concrete and physical.”—Edition published by P. J. Kenedy & Sons, New York, 1970.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ne′phesh evidently comes from a root meaning “breathe” and in a literal sense ne′phesh could be rendered as “a breather.” Koehler and Baumgartner’s Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros (Leiden, 1958, p. 627) defines it as: “the breathing substance, making man a[nd] animal living beings Gn 1, 20, the soul (strictly distinct from the greek notion of soul) the seat of which is the blood Gn 9, 4f Lv 17, 11 Dt 12, 23: (249 X) . . . soul = living being, individual, person.”

lisarose45