I want to really know the leading cause to why your child is underweight?

I'm not asking this to be a smartass one single bit. I asked a question about medicine dosage earlier and their are a few moms who child's weight is kind of low for that child's age. My son is 2 and will be 3 next month and he weighs 35lbs and I think he is too skinny but the moms on this site has kids older than he is that weighs less. Please tell me is it because of malnutrition or they will eventually get bigger. Once again please don't get offended, I just want to know.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 11:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• All kids are built different. Just because they are "underweight" according to those charts does NOT mean that they are underweight for their body chemistry. My son was a heifer, he weighed 22lbs when he was 6 months old. My daughter on the other hand was 18 months old before she hit the 20lb mark. If the childs peditrician isn't worried, then you shouldn't be either
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well my son is 5 and weighs in at about 33 pounds. I don't consider him to be underweight. He is not malnourished. He eats plenty of food, and a wide variety of different foods. He's just a very active little man, who spends most of the day running, jumping, climbing etc.. Most days I can't even get him to sit still to eat. He gets up and starts running laps around the dinner table after each bite of food. He is not unhealthy, and I'm not worried about it. I figure he just takes after me. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and I weigh only 100 pounds.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ok my2.5boys so it is because you are a small woman than because my daughter is your size and she is 8. So it could be hereditary.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It could be. My grandmother lived to be 91 years old, and never weighed more than 100 pounds, even after having eight children.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son is 15, 6' tall and weighs maybe 132lbs soaking wet. Again if the peds itsn't worried, then it's not something worth worrying over
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm pretty sure it's hereditary. I was small when I was a kid, and my daughter looks like a stick. She's 6 and weighs about 45 - 50 lbs. My son is 2.5 and he weighs around 30.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It can be from a lot of things. Our son was underweight for a long time but that was due to medical problems with his heart. Now after his surgery it took him almost a year to catch up to the 'low' side of the charts but he is 2 now and weighs 24 lbs. People say he is 'skinny' but if you pick him up he is thick and feels like he weighs more. I don't think anyone can group it into one reason every kid has a different story behind them
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son has been skinny since birth and was born at about the 5th percentile and has hovered right around there. He will be 4 next month and weighs 36 lbs. That is just the way he is built and I got a hold of DH's baby book and he was the same way and so are both of his borther's boys. My daughter on the ohter hand is about 50th percentile since birth and so was I so I think it is just from genetics for us. There are numerous things it could be, but my doc told us that as long as they stay within plus or minus 10% of where they were born percentile wise then not to be worried.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• An average weight at 36 months is about 30lbs so your kid is on the big side. My son is 3.5 years old and he's just over 30lbs; at his last appointment he was 40th percentile in weight and 60th in height. He's a classic ectomorph and he never stops moving so he can eat like a pig (he eats more than me some days) and stay lean. His dad is the same way, 6 feet tall and 140lbs, so I figure he's always going to be this way.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• There could be many reasons a child of the same age as yours is smaller or bigger. Lower or higher metabolism, not a big appetite or it could be a medical condition. Heredity even plays a roll in it. All children develop different, don't worry unless the doc is worried or your child isn't growing steadily.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009