We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another

your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just put this quote on Twitter recently, I love it. IMO it is more about drawing the attention of religious people to any hypocricy they might present... a loving, open believer of a religion, upon hearing this quote, would probably say, "Ah, yes, that is so true." A person who is strong on egoic belief but weak in love will say, "Only OTHER religions (ones I don't understand) spread hate! We only have love!" When the point of the quote isn't to disparage religion, but to chastise pride, fear, and closed-heartedness, and to encourage religious people to live up to the spiritual ideals they argue so strongly for but don't exemplify in their own walk.

"As for religion spreading hate . . . I don't think ANY religion spreads hate, but some of the people that PRACTICE some of those religions sure do. " Absolutely!!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• So very true.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Religion causes hate.....it may not cause every individual person who follows it to hate, but looking at the big picture, studying history, (reading these posts LOL), religion causes hate because it makes people judge.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with metalcowgirl34.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The only religion that spreads hate is SATANISTS, and the Extremists we deal with today from the east.

Anonymous

• People who are small minded and fearful are going to hate. It doesn't matter whether they use race, religion, sexual preference or any other excuse. They just choose to be hateful.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Anonymous, you might benefit from a little study of history. Your statement is hateful and ridiculous.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

I'm going to disagree on that. There are individuals in religions who spread hate, and there are even some religions who spread hate.
    Anonymous

• "The only religion that spreads hate is SATANISTS, and the Extremists we deal with today from the east."

OH, and I would like to bring up another point.

There's NEVER EVER been Christians hating others for what they believe, has there? Never ever ever? What about the Catholic and Protestant Christians that fight every day in Ireland? What about all the hate that's put towards Mormons and Jews because of what they believe?

*sigh* I better calm down.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• And for your information, not all Satanists are bad either. Some of them don't literally worship "Satan".

Get your facts straight before you spread HATE.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009